Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: budget sewer line for workshop

Re: budget sewer line for workshop

Looks like funnel guy has a leak in his trap or he needs a bigger funnel? My wife wants a full function facility in the barn for her birthday next month. I'm thinking a concrete distribution box for a settling tank and maybe 50-75' of perf pipe in gravel for processing two or three flushes per day. I do hate those early morning mad sprints for the house only to find all three bathrooms busy.

"it is now OK to discharge gray water on top of the ground, or in a shallow gravel field. "
    Hey MelonHead. The honeydipper guy only gave you part of the answer. Gray water is different then sewage water, although you can put both down the drain which for the most part now days in the US is common place. The outhouse at my grandfolks' sat right on the ground and we sat and watched the chickens come in and out under the rotted-out backend, I never knew what they did in there all I know is I would have rather been out in the open then in that stinkin 4 holer. But dem days are past and we gotta be creative a little as we go.....pardon the pun. (well, I think up stuff while I'm sittin) In your part of Texas you can perhaps get away with a shallow gravel-filled hole for gray water and might even p there occasionally, but you might find it a "wee" bit better to flush now and again with at least a little gray water. Gray water from a wash house, sink or.....A friend of mine back in the late 70s built his house and plumbed in a reservoir for gray water (clothes washer, bath and sink water) and he plumbed it for flushin....Werked great! You'll find to, where the deer and antelope play they don't have a specific place they frequent when they go and their all over the place....sorta like shootin out bubbles ....or tryin to flip leaves.....write your name? But us humans usually pick a favorite spot either for the view or for reasons of down wind to pay our 'dews'. You know what you might do is put marks 2 ft on center 'round outside your shop and mark one with "GO" ...next time, start there and work your way around the place every time a different spot. That way you'll be less likely to need any diggin or even a sign for "no trespassin" [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You might use an old gas tank from a truck fill it with water first then perferate the underside, fill it with rocks... or better yet, "p" gravel, and bury it with a funnel tube in the fill hole. A natural spa for bacteria, enzymes and such.
    Hope this helps...................................gotta go,
    r

I'm with you I am out in the middle of nowhere Arizona and I pee where and when I want. The average well around here is 400ft it would take a lot of pea to soak that deep It has rained about 2 in in the last 3 weeks and the ground is still only damp down about 3 inchs after that is totally dry.
    I have an out door shower that I run to a grey water trench. I dug it about 24 in deep and 30 feet long and filled with big rocks. It works and is perfectly legal. In fact the county actually encourages the use of grey water from shower and washing machines. If I were you I would not hesitate to dig a hole and fill it with rock or gravel and use it as you want.

I'd like to install a sink and a urinal in my workshop. It's too far from the septic tank and putting in a new septic system would be cost prohibitive.

MelonHead,
    I have no idea where you're located and that may have a bearing on how you can solve your problem. I have seen septic systems built using a 55-gallon drum for the "tank" that worked with no problem for many years, but it was at a "camp" that didn't have a lot of continuous daily use. This was done in a remote location where there was no inspection required or available. The guys just did what they thought would work best to keep their area clean. The drums are buried vertically. At the entrance side of the barrel cut a hole to allow 4" PVC to enter, with the top edge of the hole about 1" below the rim of the drum. On the opposite side of the barrel cut the exit hole a little lower, so that the top of the exit hole aligns with the bottom of the entrance hole. Neoprene (?) seals are available that will go into the hole and seal around the PVC where it enters. If you think your system will require a larger pit you can dig the hole larger and add a second drum in tandem. The solids will decompose in the drums and add fill line for the run-off. There's not a lot of dollars tied up in a system like that if you do it yourself...

Re: it is now OK to discharge gray water on top of the ground...

IF that water does not have any human waste in it. If the wash had a dirty diaper in it, that water can't go on the top of the ground. Also, the water can't pool on the surface, and suds can't remain on the surface. So, if you drink a lot of beer- no, I won't even start up that road! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

This varies from state to state.

I rather like the sink idea. The biggest reason being what was mentioned about resale. Now what you do with your sink is your own business. I just wouldn't recommend filling it with water for rinsing your razor when you shave if it has served your original purpose.