Thread: Outdoor wood boiler

Outdoor wood boiler

Hello CBN,
    I am new to the forum and find your experiences and insights very benefitial. My family is going to build in WV on an old farm 100 +/- acres next year.
    There have been a few posts in the past on the many brands of outdoor boilers. I am interested in follow up on those 2-3 years old posts. Are folks happy with his system?, Any recommendations?
    We plan on a 2200-2500 sq ft. home and would also consider using the boiler to heat a 1500 sq ft old farm house without insulation. The new home would have a FA furnace to circulate the heat and propane for back up. The farm house would continue to use wood space heater for back up and possibly radiators for primary with the boiler.
    I hear excessive smoking and smoldering is an issue that may be resolved by heating two homes and increasing the furnace's demand.
    thanks in advance for any informtion

Re: Outdoor wood boiler

I have a Hardy wood furnace, it was at the property when I bought it 2 years ago and really like it.

Ours is the smallest model, it heats our 2500 sf ranch style house real well, I fill it once a day most of the winter and twice a day during the coldest parts ( temps down below 10-20 degrees f ).

I am sure a larger model would heat both houses you mention quite well, the model I have has options of another pump setup to provide heat to another building/house/hot tub, whatever.

It connects to our FA Propane furnace with a heat exchanger.

I have read comments on the smoky nature of these furnaces, but ours doesn't really to be bad at all. When it is heating the blower is running and the smoke does come out like an old style locomotive, but its a white normal wood burning chimney style plume/odor. When it isn't heating practiically no smoke comes out...you might see a little tiny bit but not enough to notice or even smell.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hardy Heater

Re: Outdoor wood boiler

Thanks for the reply, I had given up on any responses. I will look into the Hardy furnace.