Thread: Bred cow prices

Bred cow prices

Here in Alabama , today, large bred cows 4-8 years old were bringing 1200-1400. I am still in shock.

Re: Bred cow prices

That's been pretty much the norm the past couple years. Hopefully, knock on wood, those prices will stay up there. Believe me you DON'T want the prices to go down. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Even if you have to buy higher to get into it you will be mucho glad when you get the higher prices for your calves. It's not any fun at all when prices are low and every cow or calf you sell you are losing money. Now you know why I am so testy about the fescue grass. You've got a $1200-$2000 investment in the cow, vet and feed bills for the year, a good sire bull or ai costs, and then your capital outlay for land and equipment and if you lose a calf or have a cow that doesn't have a calf your profit margins shrink REALLY, REALLY quick.

When we were at the NFR last year in Vegas a couple friends were ribbing my one rancher friend that I brought with for not gambling. He said boys I put her all in the red every year to ranch another year. After that this gambling stuff here is kids stuff. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]