Thread: Goat Fencing

Goat Fencing

My wife and I just bought a 7 acre homestead in Central PA. The land is flat to moderately hilly and had recently been a hay field with a fair amount of weeds, including poision ivy and mulberry saplings. As I am not interested in doing much mowing or using herbicides to kill the weeds, I thought we could get some goats (organic lawnmowers), but most experienced people that I talk to tell me that they are just about impossible to keep inside a fence. Any suggestions on fencing?

Re: Goat Fencing

check out as many threads here on fencing as you can find. most will recommend high tensile electric. get a high voltage[at least 7500v] fencer and you might be able to keep them in where you want them.

I wasn't too worried about them going through the fence, rather I was concerned about them jumping over. They probably jump as well as deer. Thanks for the advice, I'll check the "fence" posts.

My boyfriend has 7 goats at home. When they fenced in their area it too had a lot of hills and was also very rocky in places. They found that field fence worked very well for the terrain. The high tensile stuff works well if u have a flat surface to work with. His fence is 48 inches high and encompasses about 2 acres total. He went with 3.5in by 5in landscape ties for posts and used telephone pole pieces for the corner posts. the spacing on those was about 12 feet. As for the problem of them jumping out, we havent had anyone escape from going over the fence.....be warned though that if anything is left by the edge of the fence such as a cinderblock, tree stump, etc and they want to, they will climb up over that. In order to put your mind at ease maybe add a single strand of electric wire along the top only..that should do the trick. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]