Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chili recipe?

Re: chili recipe?

Next day chili... I allways recall the LBJ chili a friend's father made. The recipe called for some number of table spoons of chili powder but when he went to the store he found powdered chilis and was satisfied. Tased fine, cooking on the stove, but aging overnight for the next days chilli feed gave the powdered chilis time to "bloom" flavorwise and YAHOO it was some fiery chili.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

For the very best chili I use Hatch green chilis that I buy fresh roast then freeze in the Summer.
    I looove green chili with pork, but I also looove my red chili with beans.
    The best beans you can use are either California pink beans , but I prefer Anasazi beans ( easy on the gas lol) from Adobe Mills in Colorado (that's local for me)
    They are delicious. Contact me for more info. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bird, It is truly amazing just how high priced some convenience products are compared to the cost of buying the ingredients in them. Gravy mixes, dip mixes etc. Chilli is no exception but within reason, the more complex or "SECRET" blends can often be worth the price. You have selected a winner.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As with many recipes , the secret is not in a bunch of super secret spices, but in the freshness of ingredients and how they blend.

Simple is much tastier chili.

Chile Colorado

9 New Mexico dry chiles - washed, with stems and seeds removed
    3 cups water
    5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    2 cups beef stock or water

1 - Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil.
    Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a
    blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
    2 - Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
    3 - Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock during cooking.

Note: Makes 12 servings. Serve with chopped onion, sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Makes my mouth water just reading the recipe and I just finished a big lunch!

Got a question... Why Kosher salt?

Please don't tell me what consititutes kosher salt or why something that isn't kosher (salt can't actually be kosher) is called kosher or the difference between kosher salt and any other course salt or just any other salt. Please do tell me why the recipe calls for kosher salt.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,
    Simple answer is the flavor, some people like it's flaky texture.
    Flavor is the only reason. I like to use coarse ground pepper too.

BTW, here is a link to the best beans and popcorn you will ever taste.
    Adobe Milling co.....Anasazi beans

Ever add Tomatillo's ???

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I bought some kosher salt by accident (I thought it was the kind that went in a salt grinder that was given to me) and there is definitely a difference in taste. I use it with fresh ground pepper on steaks and chops and the taste difference is noticeably better. I use it whenever I do some *serious* cooking.

The reasons "kosher" salt tastes different is that it usually doesn't have iodine and other additives which give IODIZED salt its OFF flavor and I think there are different perceptions of flavor due to the texture (mouth.) Finer ground salt has more surface area and disolves quicker. In your mouth, course salt disolves slower and is a less intense sensation and longer lasting as well having a substatial feel on the tongue.

Salt is iodized for health considerations like water is chlorinated with neither proces being an improvement in flavor.

If you like kosher salt which is just larger clumps of cubic salt crystals, usually mined from terrestrial sources then you may like course sea salt as well. Sea salt, just in case anyone doesn't know, is usually produced from evaporating sea water in salt ponds. This salt is then "mined" and crushed then sorted by chunk size. You can get course sea salt that is the equivalent of any kosher salt. Many folks will not notice the difference. Curiously enough terrestrially mined salt is actually sea salt too, just a longer time since the sea water evaporated to form it.

I think you found out that you don't like the taste of iodine and that a more "timed" less intense release of salt's "flavor" is to your liking. Maybe you prefer the feel in your mouth. Me too. Course non-iodized salt is the tops for applications where there is contact of the salt crystal to the tounge or mouth. In soups and gravies and other fully disolved applications it really doesn't make much difference, even if it is iodized as it is so dilute.