Thread: Cheater pipe

Cheater pipe

I am looking for a cheater pipe to use on large binders. What kind of pipe is best for cheater pipe? High pressure plastic or metal?

Re: Cheater pipe

Steel pipe is normally used. Plastic will bend I believe, before it closes the binder.

I don't think I ever used plastic without breaking it. I prefer steel pipe. Of course if you ever let it slip, fly back, and slap you up side the head, you'll wish it was plastic or rubber or anything except steel [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steel is what I have always used!
    Leo

For what it is worth, if you ever read the INSTRUCTIONS and SAFETY ADVISORIES for load binders (AKA boomers, after the sound it makes when the cheater hits you in the head) it says NEVER USE extensions (cheaters.)

Real men don't need cheaters!

Plastic is a distant second to metal.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

A few years ago a fellow loaned me a piece of "plastic" pipe that he had used as a cheater pipe. I used it to break lugs on a tractor tire .I am not sure what kind of plastic pipe it was but it never bent or broke. It seems like I remember him saying the pipe was --high pressure . ? Any thoughts on what kinda pipe this could of been

It's probably a strong pipe. Wall thickness about 3/8 - 1/2 in. ??

Probably used in corrosive conditions steel would have trouble in.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat....is "boomer" an Oklahoma-Arkansas term? I never heard binders called boomers until I had a kid working for me who came from Arkansas and that is what he called them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I'm not sure how widely BOOMER is used as a colloquial substitute for a load binder/chain binder but it is recognized in at least parts of Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and California. Regional dialects are not so restricted in distribution as they once were.

I suspect that travelling seasonal harvesters like the wheat harvest crews and oil exploration/production workers such as drilling crews and the like spread the terms.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I knew the load binder as " Boomer " until till just a few years ago.

The fellows in the local hardware store didn't know what I was talking about.

Course Down Under they may think a Boomer Pulls a sleigh come Xmas Eve.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]