Thread: Is painted Galvalume the standard metal finish

Is painted Galvalume the standard metal finish

From what I have read it appears that there are three types of metals for sides and roof: galvanized, Galvalume, and painted Galvalume. Are all the painted metals you see these days painted Galvalume and is this in a sense the standard material used? How does it compare to the other metals?
    And finally what are some current costs per linear feet as I hear steel prices have jumped lately.

Mark

Re: Is painted Galvalume the standard metal finish

We just paid for metal for the garage/shop we're building. We paid $1.92 per linear ft. for the painted galvalume that had a 30 yr. warranty. I think that the galvalume is aluminum coated to prevent rusting. The place we ordered from also offered the painted metal (not galvalume) or unpainted galvalume w/ 5 yr. warranty for $1.72 per linear ft. We decided that the price difference was worth it for the 25 extra years of warranty.

12' Ridge cap pieces were $12.10 per piece, 8' corner trim was $11.50 per piece, and J-channel (goes over the tops of doors) was $4.65 per piece.

You may have to do a lot of calling around to find the best deal.

Yolanda

Re: Is painted Galvalume the standard metal finish

I've found that prices will vary by distributor, guage of the metal, painted/bright, etc. I've used galvalume 29 and 26 guage on different projects. Roofed a shop in 1985 with 29g bright galvalume and it looks new today. Roofed a home at the same location in 1989 with painted (a copper brownish color) 26g and the color has faded a little but no rust. No leaks. I've seen other bright metal used in my area that were done after mine and some of them are showing rust in some areas. I'm a believer in the galvalume products. I've roofed three houses, two shops (24X40), one business that had a flat roof we retrofitted with a pitch, and several sheds. These jobs were not commercial, but helping friends that asked for help/guidance and for myself.
    There are several types of products made using galvalume in addition to the cut-to-length panels that cover 3', which are available with different "rib" patterns. Standing seam materials, steel "shingles", etc. I think that the last painted 29g that I bought last year was about 1.50LF. A guy down the road bought some 29g bright a couple of days ago for $.90LF but it was some that the guy had taken back from a commercial contractor that he needed to get rid of. Occasionally the disbributors have bargains!