Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Economics, Revisited

Re: Home Economics, Revisited

This is one of the problems of selling at the farmers market, it is not ready to eat. You have to prepare it and then cook it. The best selling items are peas, just shell and eat as you go, corn, just put the cob, husk and all on the grill.

Bird, talking about cooking, I still to this day don't know how my mom cooked so well on that old wood burning cook stove that didn' even have a temt gage on the door. She knew just when to add a stick of hickory to bring the temp up or prop the oven door open if it got too hot. Now that took skill and experence. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Bird, The Mason jar in the frige is just about empty but luckily there is more pear butter on the pantry. I didn't know about the pineapple but it sounds good. We buy the stuff canned in its own juice with no syrup so we could drink the juice and add the solids. The pear butter we have is flavored lightly with cinnamon but unfortunately no pineapple. NEXT YEAR!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

DumbDog, About that corn on the grill... When you just put it on the grill directly it steams nicely but on the streets of Mexico the vendors peel back the shucks, reserving them for a handle and grill the corn over a charcoal fire. The result is quite tasty, a little charcoal flavor (sometimes mesquite) a little carmelized suggar in the kernels, one of the foods I never worried much about buying from street vendors. Really tasty stuff. Roasted chestnuts from London's street vendors are nice but take a second place to grilled corn.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lazy J, What is your problem with squeeze bottle mustard? Do you advocate preparing mustard from scratch or is it the plastic bottle that offends you? How is a small glass jar better? (We are at the fringes of recycling, not like the INVOLVED process we had in San Diego)

I prefer to buy mustard in large containers to refill my plastic squeeze bottles. My waste stream is still too large but not because of plastic squeeze bottles of mustard.

The really large plastic containers for resturant sized portions of condiments make good containers for sugar, flour, meal, etc. The commercial kitchen sized cans are used for painting at the new house and are used for planting too. Everything gets used a couple times but ultimately enters the waste stream.

Yep, Jim, that would take skill and experience for sure. From the time I was big enough to remember, our family had an LPG cookstove, although a pot bellied wood burning stove in the living room was all we had for heat other than the cookstove. And we burned kerosene in that old pot bellied stove instead of wood. But I had friends whose mothers still cooked on wood burning cookstoves and some of them were very good cooks, too.

Pat, I'm xanthophobic towards mustard.

mmmm it sounds like some goods cooks are on this forum.

what is "xanthophobic"

Thank you for the complement Pat. I am trying really hard to teach people. This week I haven't accomplished much. I have been really sick with the flu. I couldn't get the flu shot even though I was on the "list". I have just tried really hard to stay well. SInce Thursday I have not left the house except to sneak outside and visit my chickens. DH is helping the boys take care of my chickens for me. I need to look for a lot of egg recipes or some more customers fast because we are getting more eggs than I can sell now. Anyone live north of Seattle? BTW - the dog pictured is my companion, Coco and the chickens mom. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]