Thread: Tri-plex wire

Tri-plex wire

Getting ready to run my underground electric service in 3" pvc conduit. The run will be 50'. The question I have is, can I use tri-plex doubleO for this. The service will be 200 amp. I've updated many panels and added subpanels before, but this is the first time I've gone underground in conduit. Anyone have any suggestions? Sure hope the resident Inspector 507 sees this. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

Re: Tri-plex wire

John,
    First, 2/0 alum is good for max 150A. For 200A you need 4/0.

Second, if it's triplex, as in 2 insulated hots and a bare neutral, no I wouldn't use it.
    The box stores will sell a cable consisting of 3 insulated wires twisted together, but it's not called triplex.

Hi Jerry; I seem to pick your brain alot! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't why I said 2 O. I really did know better [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Do you have any suggestions on pulling this wire. My only help will be my wife and my tractor. I thought about having her on the tractor and me feeding. It's a straight run, but I don't think Jan has the strength to feed the wire. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When are you coming up this way? I owe you a trip thru a "real" powerplant [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

John,
    You can slide a rope through the pipe as you put it together. Or push a fish tape through when you're done gluing it and pull a rope through with that. 50' in 3" PVC should be easy, you could "almost" push that through there.
    Make a loop in the end of the rope. Strip back the insulation on the wires maybe 10-12". Cut off all the inside wires leaving 4 or 5 on each side near the outside. Now you have 5 smaller wires on one outside edge and 5 on the other outside edge, on each wire mind you. Now run half of the wires through your rope loop from one side and the others through the other side and bend them over. Only run 5" of your 10" through before you bend them over. Tape it up real good and you should be ready to go.

Excellent Jerry, thankyou very much. Does that mean Jan won't have to run the tractor? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sometimes is is easier to put the conduit over the wire one section at a time and glue it after the wire is run through it. This is especially true if you have any elbows in the conduit. Running a rope through the coduit first can help. A fishing tape moight help get the rope pulled through. It is hard to push a rope!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"