Thread: Horse boots for ice feet?

Horse boots for ice feet?

We have two horses, one is a Paso Fino which is a small breed with small feet. In the snow, which we just had another ton of, she gets ice balls that form in the frog of her front feet and it keeps building up until it's like she's trying to walk on high heels made of ice. She has great feet and has never worn or needed shoes. We've tried a few homemade "socks", but they either fall off or tear or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to put on her feet to prevent this? Maybe the rubber booties I see police horse wear in the city? Or is there some special shoe the farrier could put on?

I saw the other post here about horse boots by LazyJ_Arabians and thought someone might have an idea.

Re: Horse boots for ice feet?

Mark,
    I dont live in real snow country so I dont have first hand experience here. I have seen pads that you can put underneath shoes that have a "bubble". As the horse walks the "bubble" is supposed to compress and then when it steps off the foot the "bubble" is supposed to pop out. This action is supposed to keep snow/ice from accumulating.

I have heard many stories from some old time eastern Sierra buckaroos that said grease and other home remedies work but I cant vouch for that.

Perhaps others can help out here.....
    Mark