Thread: Cleaning out Oil tank.

Cleaning out Oil tank.

Hi. Anyone know if there is a way I can clean out my 250 gallon oil tank. I think it
    has accumulated sludge on the bottom. Or would I be better off just going out and buying a new one?
    Thanks

Re: Cleaning out Oil tank.

New ones are expensive. I would think a radiator shop could "boil it out" for you like they do radiators. If you could get it to them.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

Don't know where you are located as your profile is not filled out, but I'm sure I've seen on "This Old House" that in Mass. they needed a guy licenced by the EPA to remove an old oil tank.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

As I understand it, the sludge is usually mostly water/oil guck that usually floats on the top. I had a problem with mine because I got too low on fuel and it sucked up the sludge. You could simply drain the tank and make sure not to more or less empty it in the future.

If you want to clean it, if its empty, why don't you try either a hot pressure washer or paint thinner (mineral spirits, what we call Varsol), followed by a thourough drying out. Of course, make sure you collect the guck and dispose of it properly.