Thread: Well pump electrical connections

Well pump electrical connections

Well, I hope I can explain this right. We bought the property from my uncles estate and I want to bring the well up to speed. I have a couple of issues with the pump that is not working. Not worried because we have county water but I want to get water out to the cattle from my well. Anyway, the pump doesn't work in a nutshell. I'm pretty sure the pump is at least a 3/4 hp pump because its 600' or so. Here we go:

(1) Should I put a subpanel at the well house, (240v)?
    (2) Are all control boxes rated 240v the same? I think they are because they say you need 240 for anything above 1/2 hp.
    (3) Can I check to see if my well pump is in good working order by bypassing everything and just running a jumper from subpanel to well pump?
    (4) What should the reading(s) be at the pressure switch?
    (5) Is it easy to blow the control box capacitor?
    (6) How do you check the capacitor or should I ask what should the reading be at the capacitor (power to it and power off it)?

I ask these questions because most of the equipment has lost the notes sheet blued to the cover because of it being outside and the weather took its toll.
    Any help would be appreciated.... Questions,questions,questions... :

Dick

Re: Well pump electrical connections

I'll answer what I can and I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks. If your pump is sitting at anything close to 600' then your pump is probably a minimum of 1.5 HP. Mine sits at 450' and I'm on the edge of the 1.5HP pump curve.

1. I have 240VAC that runs from the house to a fused disconnect in the well house. I think it's a good idea to have a disconnect and/or breaker in the wellhouse.

2. The control box rating is specific for the pump motor size. Grainger has them.

3. I'd first check the wires to the pump with a voltmeter to check for shorts. I don't think you can directly wire to the pump. The capacitor is there for the "in-rush" current when the pump starts. You'll probably just blow a standard fuse or breaker (someone needs to chime in on this issue)

4. The pressure switch is adjustable for the cut-in and cut-out pressure. Home water pressure is typically between 40 and 60 psig.

5. No clue

6. No clue

Re: Well pump electrical connections

You might find this helpful.

http://www.goulds.com/pdf/IM096R02.pdf