Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse stalling and feeding question

Horse stalling and feeding question

We have a walk-in into the barn for the cows(2) at night and 2 stalls for the horses, we have been stalling the horses separate stalls. Our oldest horse wasn't stalled before we got him and isn't excepting the night stalling at all. He's so geared up in the morning that he won't even eat his grain. The walk-in is quite large(the whole east side of the barn) and I could just not stall him at night but how should I grain him and keep him out of the cows feed and them out of his. Any suggestions? The other part is the graining in the morning, he doesn't seem to want it all, just hay. Do they have to have grain in the morning? I was told by the former owner to do this and she feed all her horses(14) together, so I'm sure she didn't even know if he was eating at all. The reason she sold him to us was he was being picked on by the younger ones of the group and he was losing weight, so he was on his way down the pecking order. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] He's gained his weight back, I have him on quality feed and grain, hes not really touching it in the moring, should I keep offering it?
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Horse stalling and feeding question

For the most part, I won't stall a horse even over night without a reason such as the horse being sick or getting ready for a show, etc.

I grain my 2 horses twice a day. I tie them up while eating so that each get their proper amount of feed. In truth, by 3 yr old doesn't need grain, but my old mare does.
    Larry

Does he eat the grain at all? It may be as simple as he does not like it.

If he is getting a good quality bale feed it may not be such a big deal so take your time and find something he will eat. What "Grain" are you feeding?

Horses get keyed up for many reasons and most of them are because they are unsure of something. If they have been in a herd, regardless of their status, and they are then seperated, they may become nervous because they are simply herd bound. Or, he may be nervous because he does not feel like he can get away and hears new noises in the dark.

How long have you had him know?

Also, make sure you worm them and get them up to date on thier shots. West Nile, etc
    Mark

I'm supposed to get the vet back out in April for all of his shots and I was going to get her opinion on wormers.
    He eats the grain at night, crimped oats, purina senior pellets and a little flax seed for his coat and MSM, he looks great since I've gotten him. We've had him since Nov. 04. He's gained weight and his coat looks so nice, his limp is almost gone. When I let him out he gallops around and rolls in the snow and what I think is playing w/ the younger horse. To me he looks happier. Of course my vision might be w/ rose colored glasses.... I want him to be happier here. The farrier said his feet are real good, they just needed a trim really bad when we first got him. Making that limp worse. My husband thinks I'm crazy, because all he thinks I do is worry about the horse and I do because I'm so new at this. He said I didn't fret like this when we brought the calves in at a week old.... which he thought was a bigger gamble. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I give our horses a little grain in the evening when I feed the cattle but I mostly do it to distract them from the cattle feed.
    The horses are used to the routine now, I put their food in their stalls, open the barn door and they walk into their stalls ( same one every day for each horse, it is funnny ) .

I shut the stalls and go feed the cattle, returning to let the horses out when the cattle are done eating their range cubes.

It only took a couple days to get everybody used to the routine as well.

As far as your situation, I think the older horse doesn't like being locked up at night. Horses left on pasture are healthier horses from what I have seen and read.....

Are you concerned about predators or something else and that is why you are putting them in?

If one of ours was injured in some way I would certainly keep them in the stall as much as needed to doctor them, etc. So I am not totally anti-stalling of horses.

=))

If your older horse eats the same feed well in the evening but won't in the morning, it could be being kept in the stall makes him anxious and he won't eat. As long as he has a good coat and is keeping weight on I wouldn't worry about it so much.

If they have access to a windbreak, hay and water horses can be amazingly low mainteance creatures.

Oh and a mineral block, can't forget that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Tim

We do have about 5 or more coyotes that are in the area, I know coyotes don't usually attack full grown horses but I still worry. Mostly because the stall is there and we didn't know how we were going to feed the horses to stay out of the cow food and the other way around. The walk-in into the barn is thier protection and its big enough that all 4 of them do mill around in there at feeding time before everyone goes into thier stall.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Ahh, I see.

Could you put them in the stalls for feeding in the evenings while you feed the cows and them let them back out after the cows are done? It works real well for me. I even offer the horses treats as they come out of the barn, they enjoy the process.

I wouldn't worry about coyotes as long as you don't have any very young or very old and infirm horses.

I have seen our quarter horse geldings take kicks at dogs that got to close and am confident that the horses can take care of themselves.

- Tim

I think we are going to try that..... The older horse did have that limp, but he looks much better. To my husband he looks CURED, but I can still see it, but its MUCH better. I"m sure the vet will be pleased. I mean the whole point is to make them happy and comfortable, right?????
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Thats good to hear that your horse is getting better. What did the Vet say was causing the limp?

The former owner had done a series of tests and put alot of money into him to find out and her vet never found the cause, my vet said that he REALLY needed his feet done and to do that first and see how he was. He was better shortly after, so she said she will see him in spring when the shots were due and re-examine it, unless it got worse of course. She said to keep him on the MSM until the too, then reeval that too. She trying to help me keep cost down, unless theres a problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere