Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Smooth bore .22

Re: Smooth bore .22

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It is also alledged that he shot flying crows with a .22.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to do that many times when I was a kid; never brought one down. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

My Dad killed several moose and caribou with a 30-06, but I don't know at what distances. I do know he was the best shot I ever saw with a .22 rifle, and he had a lever action Marlin 30-30 for deer in Texas, but got the 30-06 when moved to Alaska.

Dad was an avid squirrel hunter with an open sight Remington bolt action .22 (I still have that rifle). I'll never forget one day when I was 17 and Dad's best friend told Dad about a brother-in-law that he thought might be as good, or even better, at finding and shooting squirrels than Dad was. Well, the friend, the friend's son, the brother-in-law, Dad, and I walked down along the creek (just the two men carrying their rifles). It was no time at all until Dad said he could see a squirrel way up high in a tall tree, and told the other guy to try first. Well, we all walked around that tree, tried unsuccessfully to sight the squirrel, the other two men decided that what Dad was looking at wasn't actually a squirrel, and finally told him that if he could see it, to shoot it himself. He did. I went and picked up the squirrel. The bullet went in one eye and out the other. The other men turned around headed for the house without saying a word. Dad told me he didn't necessarily aim for the eye, but that all he could see was the head so that's what he had to shoot at. I never knew of anyone else to challenge him at shooting a .22.

Can you remember what model .22 that was as I have a Remington bolt action clip fed .22 with peep sites.

Egon

Can you remember what model .22

[/ QUOTE ]

With my memory? Of course not. But sitting here looking at it, it says, "The Sportmaster model 34-1". I'm not sure just how old it is. I once found something on the Internet and believe they were made 1940-43. I don't even know if it was new when Dad bought it, but I know he was carrying it, hunting squirrels, rabbits, and bullfrogs in 1945 when I started following him around hunting. It's not a clip fed, has the tubular magazine under the barrel. I haven't used it in so long that I'm not sure, but it seems to me that it might hold 16 long rifle shells, and of course, even more longs and shorts.

Hello Pat,

Since this is an old post I'm replying to , hopefully it reaches you. I have been looking into getting a gemtech out back suppressor to interchange between several guns. You list going from p22, mkII, to 10/22. I was wondering how it functioned on each of them and cost to get the mkII and 10/22 threaded? Does the mkII stay subsonic with normal ammo? Tons of questions for you since you have a seemingly ideal setup. pay for 1 silencer and get three silenced guns. Pure genius.

Thanks,
    Scott

Scott, Just for completeness, I finally saw your query and you got your response via other means. The P-22 is subsonic with the supressor using every .22 shell type I have used (lots) including CCI MiniMags and the like. The Ruger pistols will put one out at about Mach I every so often. The 10-22 requires subsonic ammo for stealth.

The primer only Colibri and Super Colibri let you hear the hammer fall and the bullet impact on the target but are really not needed as standard high velocity .22 ammo with a supressor on the P-22 is much much much quieter than a Super Colibri with no supressor.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We have 4 bird feeders in back yard. They are messy eaters and the rats come out to get the leavin's but not within good range of a rifled gun with shot shells. Don't want to poison as birds or something uninteded will probably get killed. Don't like to use regular .22 for a couple reasons: potential bad bounce and small target running serpentine. 12 ga is a bit overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a .410? I always thought that would be ideal for back yard varmit control.

fractal, I have a .410 single shot that I got for my 13th birthday. I used it to hunt quail mostly but had to wait till they flew out to a decent range as it seems to be full choked and shoots like a rifle. It would definitely do the job if I could hit the little buggers at the range of interest ehile they are running serpentine.

Due to the layout and proximity of the house the only safe shots are at too close of a range for the .410 to spread out effectively and the noise factor is an issue as well.

I thought about putting down a length of 4 inch PVC or ABS with poison near the center to keep it away from the birds at the feedeer but we have seen hawks mating in a tree about 100 ft from the house and sick and dying rats woild be all too easy for them to catch and eat or feed their young.

I'll probably put out a 10 ft length of 6 inch PVC I have and put a trap near the center. Hopefuly birds won't explore 5 ft into the pipe.

I'm curious regarding your handle "fractal"... Years ago when chaos, fractal geometry, the mandelbrot set, and such first hit the mainstream, I lost a lot of sleep programing fractal generators and drawing pretty pictures on my PC. I got over it but have fond memories.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, would you happen ta know if ITHICA ever produced a 1911 45 cal.?

Whoops,Yes they did. 43 ,44 ,and 45. Now I cant figure out what one is worth without buying a book [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You wouldn,t happen to have a current b ook would ya? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

RE: Ithica 1911... No idea. Having temp (I hope) comp probs. using borrowed laptop... to retrieve drivers to resususitate my comp. Took break to look at mail for first time in a week.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]