Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a diesel motorhome?

Re: Is there a diesel motorhome?

Fleet user's instruction manual for the LPG conversion done on my 1964 Ford 1/2 ton included instructions on extended oil and spark plug service. You use a good grade of oil and over the extended interval you top up as required with lighter weight oil to compensate for the differential evaporation/consumption rate of the varying fractions. You also have an extended filter change interval and add new oil to replace that being lost in the filter.

The extended service interval for oil change was NO COMPLETE CHANGEOUT, just replenishment. Spark plugs, that back then were changed out A LOT, went to 100,000 miles/change, a VERY IMPRESSIVE figure for the times and technology. This wasn't snake oil hype but good sound recommendations from major players. If you wanted to be REALLY REALLY sure you could send in a sample of our oil to an independent lab for analysis.

That said, I don't recommend this approach for small generators in intermitent operation. They use such a small amount of oil that by the time you change the filter and top off you might as well have drained all you can. If you don't make a lot of short runs on the genset, then extending the oil change interval compared to the standard gasoline version should be fine. Short runs are the hardest on your oil and the engine as they leave moisture in the engine that a good long run would evaporate. This moisture and the chemical compounds that it can become can be wear agents.

I had a look at the Good Sam "Highways" magazine and this month the only used diesels for sale are 36 ft and up (if I recall correctly)

Try the "RV Trader" a branch of Trader Publications that is ON-LINE. Try http://www.rvtraderonline.com/

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

That sounds like THE article I'm looking for - Thanks. Since I'm inexperienced with motorhomes, a subscription to a good magazine may be in order. I'll look into it.

Of course there are other publications, but we were members of both the Family Motorcoach Association that's been mentioned and the Good Sam Club. The Good Sam Club has a magazine called Highways. Those two magazines were the ones we liked best, and both have classified ads in them, as well as a lot of advertising by dealers and manufacturers.

Vixen made a BMW-powered motorhome about 10-15 years back with a 2.4L turbo diesel engine. It was 21ft long. 4 berth, with a queen bed in rear. It got 25-30mpg, cruises at 80mph, and the whole shell was made of fiberglass.
    <font color="blue">If you want to do what you want to do, then you have to do what you have to do. </font>

I think it was just a wee bit longer than 10-15 years ago. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure 1989 was the last year for them. Our local dealer only had a few for a year or two. They just did not go over very well.

One thing to keep in mind when you look at any of these "unusual" or "small line" models --- is the fact that they - just like any machinery - need to be maintained and repaired. That's where the fun starts. Bird mentioned the Renault powered Winnies a while ago ..... we have one of those, althogh not the diesel powered one. I'd been looking for a diesel, but the wife happened to like the first LeSharo we looked at in this area and I ended up with a gas model.
    The problem is finding service facilities .... people with experience with Renaults are in short supply in the US. As a matter of fact, mine spent several months just outside of Montreal getting brought back up to specs. That shop was the most knowledgeable about the LeSharo of any in North America (he specializes in them).
    Although I really like the size, and the fuel economy .... the lack of power and the lack of knowledgeable service people leaves a lot to be desired. I'd happily trade up to the newer replacement - the Rialta, with a 6 cylinder VW chassis instead of the 4 banger Renault ... but they seem to have some of the same problems ... many VW shops don't want to work on them since they can't be accommodated on the standard lifts.
    There's something to be said for the pusher diesel models ... they're built on bus chassis' and most any truck stop can offer emergency service ....
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

what about the chevy 4500 cutaway with the duramax? not too pricey. and should be around the right size.