Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge, Cummins fuel pump

Dodge, Cummins fuel pump

Hi Folks,
    I need to vent a little and hear some comments on my situation. My 2000 Dodge 2500 with Cummins left me and my livestock trailer stranded Sun. afternoon. Thankfully the cattle had already been unloaded. Got a tow to my dealer. They are telling me now that the fuel ga. was stuck at 1/4 tank. Ran out of fuel and running the fuel pump dry destroyed the fuel pump. They're putting on a new pump and fuel ga. They're quoting me some horrific costs for the repairs, ie, $600+ for the pump and filter pack, approx. $200 for the fuel ga.

The engine is out of warranty by calendar by 2 mos. The present mileage is 29,000. Of course they warranty it for 100,000 mi. if the calendar doesn't catch it first.
    I've been surfing and find several problems with early failure of these pumps. Seems like a poor design that allows the fuel pump to be destroyed when running out of fuel. Do you have any suggestions for me before I pick my truck up? Thanks for listening to me.

TK

Re: Dodge, Cummins fuel pump

Are you sure about the engine warranty? I've an 03 and the engine warranty is 7yr/100,000 miles. I believe the lift pump is covered under that warranty with a $100/deductible. I am going from memory on this so don't hold me to it.

Check www.dieseltruckresource.com

They are the free Dodge site and have a good following and someone over there will be able to give you a definite anwer on a 2000 model.

Our newest one is an 02 and I think we had a either a 10/100,000 or 7/100,00. In either case my memory makes me think you are right about the warranty.

I will take a look tonight when I go home.

I have been very happy with this truck. No problems and all I do is pull livestock around with it. I really like the 6 speed for my needs.

Thank you for the posts. Alexander Chrysler/Dodge came through for me. The bill for the repairs was $840. They got all but $245 covered for me. Bet I won't let my fuel ga. fall under 1/2 from here forward.

TK

ThistleKop, You never said if it was the lift pump or the injector pump. Injector pumps need fuel in them for lubrication. Not sure what you have for a lift pump... My 3500 is a 97 and has never been run dry. I used to run my 84 Ford dry as normal operating procedure, how else would I know when to switch the tanks given the lousy state of the practice of virtually all autpomotive fuel gages.

I have the extended Dodge factory warranty 100,000 miles no time limit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,
    It was the lift pump. The tech said that the older lift pumps were lubed by crankcase oil. My 2000 is lubricated by the fuel passing thru. Matter of fact, he said that about 70% of the fuel circulates back to the tank. It is bad news for the lift pump if no fuel is available. In my case a defective fuel ga. started my problems. As I stated in my earlier post, doesn't sound like "world class design". However, I still like my Cummins.

TK

The lift pumps are junk. The pump stage itself is pretty robust, the electric motor part sucks. I just replaced the one on mine, it was around $160. The fuel senders are also failure prone, the fuel sloshing up and down the long fuel tank actually will bend and break the metal frame holding the rheostat and float arm. I've had a replacement sitting on the shelf for a year, it was around $50 IIRC. My fuel gauge works OK until right around half a tank, then it will intermittently drop to zero and set off the low fuel light and the dinger. I also lost an injector pump under warranty. My truck is a '98, it has one of the first ISB 24 valve engines installed. Your truck should be new enough to have all the injection pump upgrades

Bgott,
    Thanks for your input.

TK

ThistleKop, Most of the "BAD" features/problems of the Cummins powered Dodge are NOT CUMMINS supplied pieces but are built or specked by Dodge. For example the turbo is a Dodge item and Cummins doesn't have any references showing it. At least this was so for my '97, last of the 12 valve.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I just changed mine 2 weeks ago in my 99 dodge. Napa sold me the Carter pump for $125.00. Took me an hour to change. This pump listed for $201.00. I told them I could get it on-line for $129.00. He threw this price at me. I took it! I monitor my Fuel Pressure now because these are junk!