Thread: Electric fencing for deer

Electric fencing for deer

We are reforesting about 10 acres of land. In PA we have a problem with deer. Has anyone had any experience with using electric fencing to keep out deer?
    "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."

Re: Electric fencing for deer

An electric fence has been quite effective at keeping deer out of my garden. You can't keep an electric fence from being torn down by deer that run upon it suddenly. However if you will flag it with foil or something that they can see, it will be reasonably effective. Another trick that I read about that has been effective for me is to trap a bit of peanut butter in the foil. Obviously, they examine it with their nose and get a real surprise.

TK

You'll not keep the critters out unless you build a 10'+ fence around the property, or build a fence the deer can't see through. A 6' jump from a deer on all fours is nothing... then with the case of many they'd just assume crawl under the fence.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Deer can jump high or wide but not both at the same time. Even a 6 ft fence will keep out deer if there is a horizontal extension on top. These are available commercially or you could DIY.

Still laughing about the peanut butter and the electric fence. Who'd a thunk it, aversion therapy to train deer to avoid peanut butter!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"