Personally, I love the old post-mounted grills. Very likely the primary brand you had was Broilmaster or Warm Morning, the same grill, but Warm Morning was the predecessor name. The other possibility from that era was Charmglow, which was actually the first commercial gas grill, around 1961. There were dozens of others, like Shepherd or Turco, but Charmglow and Warm Morning were the biggies. The successor to the Charmglow today is called MHP, and is still available with a post mount, except the post is now aluminum, eliminating your problem with the dog.

Ah, and gas lights. I love them. They're so warm looking and romantic. No matter how hard they try, they'll never come up with an electric post light that looks the same. Gas lights are still available; one of the better suppliers is the same MHP company (Modern Home Products). I'd love to use them to illuminate the 600' of wooded driveway that will lead to my new house, at the gate, and a couple by the pond -- but they cost more to run than I can afford on a retirement budget. Each one will use at least $30 worth of gas per month, and I can think of a lot of other things I can do with, say, $150 instead of 5 of the lights.