Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodge, Cummins fuel pump

Re: Dodge, Cummins fuel pump

blh1960, Based on the price of the pump to which you refer and the fact that you will routinely monitor its pressure, I surmise that you are talking abot the lift pump (fuel from tank to injector pump with filtered excess returned to the tank.) I was refering to the injector pump and injectors. If I am wrong, forgive me, the price of injector pumps must have fallen appreciably.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I'm a little confused. If no fuel is available to lube the lift pump as it is being called, where is engine getting the fuel to run on? If the engine stops, does not the lift pump as well?

I do beleive the lift pump is a Dodge item. My 96 required replacement at around 100,000 Kil. I think it may have had something to do with several tanks of bad fuel and not using conditioner.

The 24 valve has a different pump. Diffent oil filter too to handle more pressure.

My fuel guage has also stopped working. I rely on the trip meter as the backup fuel guage. I have a good handle on milage for most conditions. It's almost always filled before 1/2 full.

The good news is that I saw a 97 12 valve with 738,000 kil. on it and still going strong. It is being used to tow travel trailers to the local dealership. It has had about three or four auto transmission replacements but the owner is still extremely happy with it.

The TDR website does have some information on both the lift pump and the fuel gauge.

Egon