I THINK the Troybuilt is built by MTD. I have a 9hp Craftsman that I believe was actually built by MTD also. It does a good job and makes nice chips. The later ones I have seen, have plastic feed chutes instead of the metal that is on mine. I really think the plastic chutes would give problems especially on the chipper side. When chipping it will self feed aggressively on the 2-3" pieces. I think this might tear up the plastic feed chute in short order, but the plastic may not be a problem, just my thoughts.

You might look at some of the gardening magazines for reviews on chippers if chip quality is an issue for you. I saw a review of the Craftsman/MTD chipper and it was rated one of the better chippers for the size of chips produced. Made nice mulch for the garden. Price was the reason I ended up with the Craftsman. $450 in '94. It was on the cheap end of things and looked really good after pricing a tractor mounted chipper. I don't know how it would rate today. Cleaning up was my first concern, not having mulch. However, I use all the mulch I make and that is now just as big a part for me as cleaning up trimmings.

Gary