Thread: Splicing Woven Wire

Splicing Woven Wire

What is the best way to splice together two rolls for a long run of fence? I was thinking about overlapping them by a few verticals and wrapping wire around the vertical strands.

Thanks.

Re: Splicing Woven Wire

You might also consider the crimp on wire splices you can use with different types of fencing, high tensile, barbed, etc.

You can make a splice strong enough that if you over tension the wire, the wire breaks someplace else. haha.

You would think I would learn after I broke a couple, but no, I still over tension them sometimes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking that might be the way to go too but the place I looked at that had those did not have a crimp tool for them. They said just use anything at all to crush them... didn't seem like that would yield a very good crimp.

What did you crimp yours with? Also did you use the kind of crimps with 2 holes side by side or one big hole? Thanks.

I bought the crimp tool at the mfa store i bought the splices from. The tool looks like a bolt cutter except with a narrow gap that you can crimp with. The bottom of the teeth are still intact so I have used it as a bolt cutter to boot. Let me find you a link to one.....

Ok I see what you mean, my neighbor has the two hole crimps and crimping tool, like these from staytite...

http://www.staytitefence.com/tools/wire-splice.htm

The tool for those looks like this.....

http://www.staytitefence.com/tools/w...icing-tool.htm

I use the one hole sleeves/crimps, let me see if i can find em...whew found it, thought I had lost my mind. These are the ones I use, had great luck with them:

http://www.afence.com/ToolsFenceCAT/splicers.htm

I too bought one of the special crimpers. It was hard to see the buisness end while it was i its packaging. I would have NOT BOUGHT IT if I could have seen it. It is a GOOD tool but overpriced and easily substituted.

Go to a pawn shop or yard sale or... and buy a pair of bolt cutters with a bad smile (chipped teeth) Grind away at both sides of the cutter part untill you have reproduced the clearance of the storebought version. This is equivalent. If after grinding the teeth true there is too much clearance then grind a little off the "stops" that prevent overtravel. Alternatively, build up the teeth with an arc welder and grind back down to the right spacing. Use 7000 series rod or better. Hard surface rod if you have it.

If you buy right you get a pair for a buck or two, not the RIP OFF I PAID!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"