Thread: old toilet repairs

old toilet repairs

There are three old Kohler toilets in my house dating from about 1953, in addition to one new model in the master bath we added on. The old toilets recently all needed to have the flush valves replaced. These are the old style ball on a rod type, and are still available cheap. While I was doing that, I decided to update the fill valves, too, since they were getting pretty old, though I doubt they were the originals. Anyway, at both Lowes and Home Depot, and the local Ace Hardware, the Flushmaster was what was recommended. It's cheap and easy to install, and is easily repaired or replaced when that is required, so I went for that. However, after installing them, I saw that they send much more water down the overflow tube, where it first fills the bowl and then goes down the drain. I assume these valves are intended primarily for use with the low-flush volume of the newer toilets, and since my old style toilkets take quite a bit longer to fill the tank, a lot of water is wasted down the drain by this feature.

The good news: I e-mailed the Flushmaster folks to ask them about that since there was no obvious way to adjust the flow to the overflow tube. They immediately replied with an offer to send me three free adapters to adjust the flow. How about that?

I assume some of their competitors make valves with either a lower flow or an adjustable flow to the overflow tube, but I like a company that responds to my questions.

Chuck

Re: old toilet repairs

1953 toilets??? So are they 10 gal per flush or what?

Time to retrofit and conserve thousands of gallons of water per year.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

At least one will probably be replaced when the pink tiled bathroom it is part of is remodelled. The one in the basement is so little used that I could simply turn the water off to it and we'd never notice, but I'll probably keep it going in case I am ever down there working and am struck by an urgent need. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The other one is also seldom used, and may be replaced when we remodel the kitchen, since it is in the adjacent laundry room. Anyway, until they are replaced they may as well be as efficient as possible, given their design.

At least the modern toilet in the new master bath works OK. Unlike some of the low-flush designs, it actually seems get the job done with a single flush. Of course, for what the @#$%$ thing cost, it should have a built-in TV.

Chuck

I am confused again; old toilet repairs, doesn't one just repalce some rotted boards and pour a bunch of lime down the hole??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Chuck, The original low volume toilets didn't flush very reliably at all but there are some really good ones now. "Consumers Reports" has tested and rated them. I see one at Lowes that flushes a zillion table tennis balls, handy just in case someone swallows a bunch of table tennins balls.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ahhh, pink tile... Pink and grey loafers, pink and grey Studebakers, pink felt poodle skirts, pink poodles, pink flamingo...

Hula hoops came back, maybe pink tile is about due for a reprise.

Yep. The toilet we had installed in the new master bath a couple years ago is a Kohler, and it works fine. If I replace the old toilets I'm sure I won't have a problem with the new models.

I sure can't say I like the pink, but the tile work was done really well. Why couldn't they have gone with just about any color but pink? Pink sinks, toilet and tub, too. I may try getting the tub enamalled....those old cast iron tubs are nice.

Chuck