Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time PHD Use

Re: First Time PHD Use

Pat,

I tried Aluminum once or twice with no success. It's a technique that requires a lot of parctice, not nearly as easy as steel. I was making an antenna bracket for my Ford and realized that I'd be spending more time and material learning than if I just paid an expert.

I generally use Argon/CO2 mix rather than flux cored wire as I don't like to chip slag between passes. Though I'm informed that the flux cored wire works better outdoors as the shielding gas is easily carried away on a slight breeze.

Eastwood Company, a supplier of automobile restoration and body repair items, has several powdercoat guns and related items in their catalog. I can see your palce with a HOT PINK powdercoated porch railing! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] They also have the radiant heaters available. I'm tempted to buy one just to play with. The guns start under $100. OK, not much under.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: First Time PHD Use

Gary, I don't know whose flux cored wire you use or your operating situation but I virtually NEVER have anything to chip even when making multiple passes doing 1/4 inch steel. I get a little splatter of small spheroids that can mostly be brushed off (some require a wire wheel or other vigorous mechanical removal method if you want a really sanitary appearance.

I think that all wire feed units are not created equal. Recently my electricians borrowed my Lincoln Weld Pak 100 to do a small weld job at my house site. They were very favoraby inpressed as to the quality of the weld and ease of making it compared to their BRAND X unit back at their shop.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"