Thread: couple questions and my plan

couple questions and my plan

I have 15 acres outside Needville Texas. Lots of trees and a pond. I want to build a barn. This land floods easily. So, to build the barn, I am going to have another pond dug and use the dirt to build up an area for the barn. My existing pond has water the color of chocolate milk. It is about 4 ft. deep. I have added gypsum, and it helps for a while....
    I would like to have clear water in my new pond and read here that making the pond 6 feet deep would help. Is this true? What else can I do to keep the pond clear?

thanx

Re: couple questions and my plan

I would guess a deeper pond could end up with clearer water but another factor would be runoff from streams or fields entering the pond and bringing sediment with it. In our area the lakes and ponds turn mud brown in the spring with the heavy runoff, could this be happening to your smaller pond?

This website has a huge amount of pond information:

http://www.pondboss.com/

Re: couple questions and my plan

I agree, runoff could defiently be part of the problem. Now, if you plan on keeping fish in this pond, you want to keep the water dark because if it isn't the fish will see you and you will never get a bite. Once you get it cleared up, I would recommend putting some pond fertilizer in their to darken it up. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg