Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagination

Imagination

Everybody wants to know why kids have no imagination these days. They have it, it just has to be tapped into--and you have to know where to take them to let them tap into it.

I was watching my neighbor’s grandson playing in her front yard the other day. Apparently there’s a hard fast rule about not bringing electronics to Grandma’s house, and thank goodness for that, because I had a great time watching this kid try to entertain himself while completely bereft of anything requiring batteries.

First he kind of wandered around the yard aimlessly. He was about eight, I guess ... I was watching him over the top of a paperback book; the book was boring and he was the most interesting thing happening at the time. For a moment I thought he was going to give up and go in the house, maybe find some cartoons on television, but suddenly he tripped over a stick in the grass … and the magic started to happen.

As I watched, the stick became a sword, and judging by the pile of bodies he was amassing, it was sharp and deadly. The impromptu Ninja found bad guys behind the porch, under the car and up in the trees. He scattered leaves in a dizzying blur until he had sought out and slain all the fugitives from justice that were threatening the royal palace. Lacking any better place to store it when he wasn’t actively killing bad guys, he stuck the “sword” vertically in the waistband of his shorts. It came out at about his ankle and was a major hindrance when he went to squat down, but it was handy when he needed it.

Grandma’s old cat was stretched out on the porch step lazing in the morning sun. Cats are funny … they can appear to be dead to the world, but are constantly aware of what is going on around them. This one was no exception and was immediately cognizant of the fact that it was being hunted. Of course it had ceased to be an ordinary housecat and was now a lion on the African plains, and the “sword” was magically transformed into an elephant gun. Weapon to his shoulder, the boy crept up on the cat, looking a great deal like Elmer Fudd after that “wascally wabbit.” The cat flicked its tail in annoyance, his eyes never leaving the boy, and yawned widely—a gesture that I’m sure appeared to the young hunter as a mighty roar.

“Bang!”

Whether secretly obliging the boy or just acting on natural feline impulse, the cat flopped over on his side, stretched, and immediately went back to sleep.

“Gotcha!” The boy smiled in satisfaction.

At that point he withdrew a red soda straw from his back pocket. Don’t ask me why he was toting around a used soda straw, he just was. He squatted in the driveway, rearranging his sword/elephant gun so that it wouldn’t job him in the bread basket, and began to gather tiny pebbles. Pebbles that he fed into his red plastic “dart gun” and fired at rival Jivaro headhunters along the Rio Nava River in Equador. One hit the side of the house. Ping! Another glanced off the fender of Grandma’s car, which brought her instantly to the front door.

“Boy! What hit my car?”

“I dunno!” He replied, surreptitiously dropping the handful of gravel he’d gathered to the ground behind his back.

“What’dja do to my trees?” She demanded next, eyeing the scattered leaves.

“Nuthin’!â₠¬Â He declared.

The cat, his eyes full of the truth, gazed up at Grandma like he wanted to spill the beans but couldn’t. After all, he was dead, wasn’t he.

I could see the boy’s predicament. How could he explain his actions to Grandma? How could he tell her that he had single-handedly rid her of bad guys, slain a lion, and mowed down countless headhunters all in the space of a half hour or so?

Kids have no imagination anymore? I beg to differ. Next time you want to see an example, take your kid to Grandma’s, arm him with a stick/sword/elephant gun and a soda straw/dart gun … and watch the magic happen.

Re: Imagination

...and then after repairing the heart-lung machine with the bladder from a 29 cent fountain pen, Walter M. went on to perform a miraculous brain surgery using nothing but his Barlow knife (with BSA insignia) and fingernail scissors...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Is that a quote ...? Or something coming from your own boyhood heroic exploits? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cindi, Your piece activated my familiarity reflex, sounding a bit like Walter Middy(sp?) My blurb was neither a quote nor a personal experience but was intended to be in the mood and style of that daydreamer extroidanaire, Walter M.

Lots of folks have observed that kids will often play with the box that a toy came in long after the toy itself has become uninteresting. Give a kid a kitchen knife, masking tape, and a few cardboard boxes of various sizes and they will build rockets, forts, space stations, dungeons, castles and much more. Turn the red wagon on its side and use a front wheel for a steerig wheel of an Indy racer.

"Third floor, ladies laungerie, hardware, mind your step please!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Oh, I see.

Well, this boy proved without a shadow of a doubt that his own imagination was infinitely more enjoyable than anything that could have been purchased to entertain him. I can't say he would have been as much fun to watch had he had a gameboy. Despite the sometimes humorous convulsions, leg kicks and virtual dodges that kids display when engaged in electronic game playing, his imaginary games were much more riveting. Primarily because as a "watcher", I knew exactly what he was up to. The same can't be said for gameboy play. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hellow Cindy:

Bring us up to date, we are all curious.

PS: Grandma had a tin pail full of old cans odd shaped pieces of wood and even a few marbles.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Up to date, let's see ...

I'm living in Marble Falls Texas, I'm working full time and writing for three local papers and one still in Florida. The girls and I are going camping this weekend at the devil's watering hole at Ink's Lake. I have two novels almost ready for submission, one a collection of past columns and the other an adventure/romance.

Jake came to visit a few weeks ago, he lives with his dad in Florida. Jenny started school last week and she loves it. That's pretty much it for now. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cindi,
    Glad you're back with us again [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry

Thanks Inspector Jerry [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Cindi, Your piece activated my familiarity reflex, sounding a bit like Walter Middy(sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mitty, Sir Patrick. Walter Mitty. Originally written by James Thurber, I believe. Played on screen by the inimitable Danny Kaye, of course.

I remember waaaay back when... I was sometimes farmed out to a neighborhood lady who did babysitting. She was grandmotherly age - seemed about 120 at the time. I'd guess she was in her 60s. She had hundreds of carefully cleaned sour cream containers which she kept for building blocks or whatever our imaginations made of them. We had hours of wonderful fun with those things.

I don't think she had a TV. We looked forward to spending a day or half day at her house.

Take the electronics away and good things will happen.