Thread: Vinyl Fencing

Vinyl Fencing

Does anyone have any 3-rail vinyl fence that has been installed for any length of time. If so, how long, and are there any problems?

Ron

Re: Vinyl Fencing

Ron, we had the three rail for six or seven years on our old place. Looks as good today as it did when installed back then. No problems with it at all, (after the initial sticker shock). Had a car go off the road and thru it once, but it was easily repaired.

It looks great, and you can put wire up on it and keep critters in or out too. I will be putting it up around this place as well.

Tom

Tom,
    Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of installing vinyl 3 rail currently on my farm. In Maryland there is not a lot of 3 rail vinyl that has been up for any length of time. Its hard to find information on older vinyl fence. Hopefully, I will be able to report back promising results in, oooh about 30 years. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Well, back to the auger! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ron

I'm looking to install PVC fencing on my property in the next month. I've been looking at different suppliers and some offer the straight PVC and another has treated lumber wrapped with PVC on it. Since I live in a cold climate (Minnesota), I'm just concerned that PVC might not hold up well enough. Anyone have any comments on it? I don't think it should be an issue - there are alot of PVC fenced properties here, but I thought I'd check and see what people think.

Thanks for your insight!

-Bob

some updates based on feedback in Tractorbynet....

I've talked to a number of people - both serious and non-serious horse people. People choose the treated lumber to save on money and "durability" while others choose the plastic due to looks, lack of chewing, lack of upkeep, and good durability. No plastic will be as strong as wood, but this stuff isn't bad. The only drawback is the winter in extreme cold and if it gets hit hard.. but then again anything will break or crack in the extreme cold if hit hard.

Many people around here are now using the plastic. Major emphasis is on cementing the posts in vs. just setting them with rock (like treated posts can be done). But that's a small price to pay, I believe, for what one gets esthetically out of it all. And at 4$ a foot, it's not bad.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

-Bob

Hello Folks,
    I think Vinyl fencing looks good and I have some on my property. I set in rock and it’s done very well.

I am not sure what constitutes a serious horse person but I guess if we are not labeled serious we must be pretty close. From my perspective I would not use vinyl for containing horses. I guess you can make it work if you fill the posts with concrete, back it with no climb and make sure the no climb is stretched very tightly. Even with that I would not trust it. Assuming you concrete the posts in its very easy for a horse to punch through the rails. The same thing holds true for people that want your horses to get out. I know some think rustling is a thing of the past or a western thing but that’s not true. Not by a long margin.

For me the best overall fencing is 3+ rail welded pipe with no climb backing. I know its not everyone’s favorite and expensive but it’s my first choice. Just because others do it and some get away with it does not mean that it’s the right thing to do. No offense intended of course.

My 2 cents……

Mark

Okay - I'm looking to make my purchase (1,000+ feet) of PVC and the most reasonable firm I've talked to is Gardner Fence (www.gardnerfence.com) - they are recommended by John Lyons and several folks on Tractorbynet have discussed them. Does anyone have any experience with this firm?

Thanks for your help and support!

-Bob

Bob,
    you might compare that against RAMM fencing.

Mark