Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Bite

Spider Bite

Last night just around dark, I was moving a piece of plywood away from the house where I was doing some work earlier, and was bitten, I believe, by a spider. I didn't see anything, and it left no mark, but my hand felt as if it was on fire. It still hurts this morning, and is stiff around the knuckle where the bite occured. Does anyone know what kind of spider could be that venomous?

Re: Spider Bite

Spider bites really hurt. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I'm not an entomologist so I'm not sure if I can help but I think you may need to provide a general location of where you live to answer that one.

Brian

I live in Elizabethtown, IL on the Ohio river, across from Crittendon County Kentucky.

If your whole hand felt hot that sounds more like a sting than a bite. Scorpion or wasp maybe.

I thought that too, but it was dark and I have never seen a wasp at night.

Most spider bites are almost painless when they bite it is only days or weeks later that they flesh starts to rot. Instant pain is more likely a scorpion. If you want to get ill do a search for 'brown recluse spider"

You don't often see wasps at night, but scorpions can sure get you at night. I had one get me 3 times in bed one night when I was about 7 or 8 years old. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Most spider bites are almost painless when they bite it is only days or weeks later that they flesh starts to rot. Instant pain is more likely a scorpion. If you want to get ill do a search for 'brown recluse spider"

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the spider.

See a doctor.

Your situation sounds just like my scorpion sting. I was reaching under a pot, and the next thing I know my thumb is on fire! The pain resonated through my hand. The little bugger hit me three times before I knew what happened. Twenty minutes later, it felt like all my knuckles were swolen, and I could feel the tightness in the joints whenever I tried to make a fist. I was fine three hours later, but boy I never had anything make me feel like my entire hand was on fire. I have been stung by numerous types of wasps and bees, but that scorpion made me want to hunt them down and get revenge!

Of course, you may not have scorprions where you live, but the symptoms you described are just like a mean wasp or scorpion sting. Most spiders try to get out of the way unless they are trapped, whereas, wasp and scorpions are a little more territorial.

Joe

May have been a black widow... they like to hang around wood piles. Main thing is... if it does not get better soon... or get worse... go see the doc!
    - William