Thread: Bought me an old dump truck!

Bought me an old dump truck!

I have been needing a dump of some sort, I looked at a couple dump trailers, but it's kinda hard to justify the price. I was coming back thru town and saw an old Chevy C-60 for sale beside the road. I stopped and looked and bought it. It is a bare bones little truck, with a 292 six cyl, straight 4sp, single sp rear with a nice 10 ft dump bed. I havn't weighed it yet, but I doubt it weighs over 7000 lbs. It has power steering, and drives good, new crate engine last summer, good tires, clutch, trans, brakes all seem good, and was a lot cheaper than a dump trailer. It's 30 years old, but I am easy on equipment so it should do what I want OK. I have paid over 1200.00 just on hauling bills during the building of the new house and am going to need a good bit of hauling in the near future.
    Besides, it's my birthday. 52 and still going, maybe not as strong, but still going nonetheless.Later, Nat

Re: Bought me an old dump truck!

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er.....ah.....Nat; will you send me a check after you weigh that truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Make the check out for one dollar for every pound over 7,000......No, wait; I'll spot you another thousand.....make it for a buck for every pound over eight grand. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Nat......Nat....Nat.... big trucks is heavy, little trucks is light. The widdle Ferd 350 flatbed dump that I rent alla time with a 10" lightweight body and bare bones minimum dump hoist weighs 7480. That C-60 will be 8500-plus. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

CJDave, you may be right, but this ain't my first. Thw lightest dump I've had was a F-600 with a 10' bed,330 V-8 4sp w/2sp rear and 9.00 20,s. It weighed 4.05 tons, but this truck is much lighter. It is a straight 6, no 2 sp rear,8.25 tires and a pressed steel body that is only 12" deep. I havn't checked in the glove box to see if there are any old weight tickets but will asap. I still stick with my earlier guess at around 7,000.
    I brought it home today and she's a little slow, rear geared 7.90. It will take off uphill in 2nd at an idle, no strain at all, but is taching 2750 RPM's at 45mph. I wouldn't want to push her much harder, so it's a good think any work I do will be close to home. Later,Nat

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You could be righter than I thought, Nat.....is "righter" a word? That definitely is a minumum truck. Be glad that you don't have a 2-Sp. Those particular ones were kind of troublesome and not a lot of parts around to fix them. I had a '70 GMC about that same size with the old 305 V-6 engine in it. It had a real heavy service body and side crane so the weight was no comparison to what you have. SEVEN-NINETY !!! YOW!!! That's a real "crawler". That pinion gear must be teeny-tiny. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Nat, I went to an auction Saturday. I recognized an old International Load Star dump truck. It belongs to an acquaintance who works part time for his brother's wife's daughter's husband who has a small trailer manufacturing facility.

Top bid was $500 but they flooded it and couldn't start it and backed away from the deal. A year or so ago he offered it to me for $2000 and I considered offering $1500 but didn't. Now I may try $500. If it runs and dumps it would be worth over $500.

I don't have to operate it off my property for my purposes but I might want to replace the vacuum booster so the brakes work, anyway as it doesn't have a snorkel and I would want to operate near some of my ponds.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, a dump is a pretty handy thing to have around. If you move as much dirt around as I do, it sure bets carring a bucketfull with the loader and that really does damage the front end of a tractor. One thing I have found over the years is that brakes are awfully nice to have at times.

congrats on your birthday gift. that's something I have a real hankering for too and hey my birthday is coming up soon to boot. how much weight could be safely carried in a truck that size. what I am thinking of is to have sides on it and pull it behind a forage harvester so that when it's full I pull the pin and then drive to the storage area and then back to the field so that I wouldn't have to have extra tractors around, a one man show so to speak. does anybody here think it would be too heavy to pull around for this application?

Well, I weighed it on fri. and it weighs 7420. not quite as light as I thought, but still extremely light for a C-60 dump. I hauled 2 loads of mulch, they call it 5 yards, but if you measure the bed it is a little ove 4. I made a play ground area for the grandkids, I put up some rope swings just some ropes and a couple pieces of 1" conduit 5 ft long between some trees. We had the kids over for supper fri nite and the little ones had a ball. Later, Nat