Thread: generator connexion

generator connexion

Want to parallel connect two honda 3000i gensets but Honda wants $275 for cable. It looks simple to make a cable that remains polarized. Am I wrong? Any advice?

Thanks

Ernie

Re: generator connexion

Running generators in parallel, requires that they be in synchronism. You need to get an instrument that allows you to check this before making the parallel. The generators will fight each other, unless equiped to loose frequency when the load increases until governor adjustments are made.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

I believe that those are inverter generators. I would guess that the cables have multiple wires and that some of the wires cause the inverters to synchronize. It is possible that there are electronics in the cable (although this seems unlikely). Anyway it's not just paralleling the outputs, a control signal must also be sent. You need the proper documentation to build this cable, and if you make a mistake you could damage one or both generators. If you do not have the details of the cable construction don't do it.
    This is a simple description of a very complicated product.
    Bob Rip

Those are inverter generators. The price of the purchased harness may indicate there is more than just simple wiring involved.

Why not ask the Honda Dealer??

Egon

Here is a site that shows how to make the parallel cable setup for the Honda generators. The disadvantage to this system is, if one of the plugs were to pull out, it will be hot. The setup offered by Honda has locking plugs. parallel cables

There is no reason that you couldn't modify everything to include twist lock style interconects. In the trades a plug, cable , extension or jumper wire with exposed "HOT" connectons when one end is disconnected is aptly termed a SUICIDE cord.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

True, but I just wanted to point out that the cable was made up without locking plugs and was trying ( very poorly [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ) to show the difference between the commercial and home made versions.

MRB I'm not sure who is/was replying to whom but my comments were general and or to the initial poster. I think a good service was provided, pointing out the shortcoming of the DIY version at the listed web site. I only sought to point ouit that it wouldn't be impossible to add twist locks. There are also devices sold for holding two extension cords securely together. Those might be an acceptable substitute.

The issue of building vs buying is rarely clear with various tradeoffs. I used to end up sometimes making something like $0.05/hr for my labor because I would choose to build it myself. I did better once in a while but not always. I used to build Heathkits, Knight kits, Scot(t) kits (audio equipment) etc plus scratch build various things.

In the case of the high dollar cable, if I had time and needed one of those cables I do think I would probably build it myself as the dealer price sounds like a real ripoff.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"