Handyman, I think I understand where you are coming from and for the most part agree. There is a general trend away from personal responsibility and accountability, away from reality toward some nonexistant Disneyesque world.

Every "normal" person has a hard time wrestling with their duties and emotions at the end of a pet's (or other loved one's) time on earth. Old age and death come to most pets before it comes to their owners. As sure as winter follows spring and summer the time WILL COME. The pet owner is living in denial if they only think of the puppy and young healthy adult phases.

If you can't deal with the final phase of life which is death, you should never get a pet. Accentuate the positive, think of all the good times but do not prolong a pet's suffering because you the responsible adult can't come to grips with reality.

I am neither for nor against having a vet DO IT and find no fault with the person who does it himself so long as they do it humanely. Overdoses of tranquilizers can prevent any dificulties. Vets can vend potions for the purpose if a gun isn't within your perview.

Not everyone enlists the help of a vet because they are abdicatiing their responsibility (although some do) I know folks who rescue dogs and have to have at least one a year put down. They use a vet, are present, insist on kind handling and have the animal in their laps as they slip away. They are emotionally wrenched each and every time. This is a WW II vet with combat experience who was in the THICK of it and is no stranger to death but he chooses to have his wiife present and not use one of his guns. It is a personal choice. It is a hard choice and a hard time.

Some folks apparently need a little insulation from reality. Perhaps they should rethink being pet owners, or realize the inevitability of death. When you buy a puppy you are selecting an animal to die ahead of you, most likely. Plan for it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]