Thread: Should I fill the diesel tank?

Should I fill the diesel tank?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but being new to country life I know nothing about it.

We are moving to a rural property next month and I just got a call from the current owner who said that they had the oil tank in the house filled for us as is common practice before closing and then we adjust for the full tank at closing. He wanted to know if we wanted him to get the diesel tank that is outside by the barn filled. It is about 1/3 full right now.

We probably won't have a tractor at least until next spring. The tank is also used to heat the workshop outside and I plan on heating it maybe a bit every week whenever I am out working on something - not all the time.

I'm inclined to not have him fill it because it is unlikely I will need more fuel than what is there over the winter. On the other hand do I need to worry about condensation if I leave the tank mostly empty over the fall, winter and spring. What does one do if you have condensation problems in your tank anyway?

Its just a lot of money at closing when we have a whole bunch of other things to pay for.

Would appreciate your advice.

Re: Should I fill the diesel tank?

One can add fuel conditioners to the tank. This should look after condensation.

The outlet should also have a filter on it. There may/may not be valves to drain the bottom of the tank.

You should be able to get the tank filled at a later date.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]