Thread: Fence Question

Fence Question

I need to put up 2500' of woven wire fence in a wooded rocky area. The fence rolls come in 330' rolls. I will be using trees and t-post to hold up the fence. Does anyone have a suggestion for unrolling the spools fence of fence? I don't have a tractor, but do have a Polaris Ranger (like a golf cart on steroids) with a hitch. I would like to secure the fence as I unroll it. I plan to stretch the fence as I go.

Thanks

Re: Fence Question

You can put a pipe through the center of the wire roll to unroll it.

Egon

Stretching as you go can be a pretty IFFY approach. You an get better results if you can stretch longer runs.

Doping a golf cart is unsportsmanlike conduct! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have put a pipe across the back of a pickup to hold multiple rolls of barbed wire and used "washers" made of plywood between them to help avoid tangles. It took two washers between each roll.

You might be able to rig up an "axle" arrangement to pay out your fencing too. Haven't tried our type fencing so I don't know if you wiould be helped by "washers" on the ends.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Go to your phone or electrical company yard and see what they have and use for thier cable reels. They have reel carriers that will do the trick for just about any kind of farm\ranch job. You would just have to get your hands on a reel carrier. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img], but you could get some good ideas on how to make such an animal if your a good fabricator or know someone that could fabricate one for you. you could also check out the auctions on the internet for a reel carrier.

Good Luck

Dick

Hey Dick, haven't heard from you in a while. How is your house going?

Mikek101,
    Welcome to CBN.

Let me admit I have no real fabrication skills although I did manage to do what you are talking about with my tractor. I used my box scraper but the idea is that you can use anything you can lever 2 board under.

I took 2 4x4 (because that is the size I needed to fill up the space) and levered them over the top lip of the box scraper at the back and under the front part of the box scraper. This left the boards sticking out the back.

To the top of those I took a long pipe and simply clamped one end down to one of the boards, slid the fence on the pipe as Egon suggests, and then clamped the other side down. After attaching one end of the fence to the corner brace I simply drove off. I used a short length of bailing twine on the inside of the fence roll so it would not run off the pipe and re wind itself up.

For me, it worked pretty well although I think that I saw a really good example of a slick system on TBN.

Best of luck,
    Mark