Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

Hey thanks! I'll use that one. Where do you get your bells?
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

AGH,
    I am no expert and that might be true. However, all of our dogs tags are metal so we can hear them when we call them at night and I can say for sure that the clinking of dog tags do nothing, in my experience, to keep the coyotes at bay. Actually, I have often thought that taking the tags off so coyotes dont hear them might be better so they stealth around. Most of the time when coyotes pack up for a kill in our area it takes a human or other animals to send them on thier way.

Opie744,
    You can get many different size cow bells at most good feed and tack stores. Some of them are as small as 2" tall

Mark

Bells can be bought at most Feed and seed Stores, if you can't find any out your way, this where I get my bells, they come in two sizes, a small, about 1.5 inches wide and a larger size about 2 inches wide, I use the small one on my females, and the larges size on my males. their phone # 800-221-4628 mailing address is : Hoegger Supply,160 Providence Ra., Fayetteville, Ga. 30215. You may also check this e-mail out: www.hoeggergoatsupply.com
    Hope you all Good Luck, and My god Bless. Daddy Rabbit

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie toni

ok I know this is cruel but a live chicken with rat poison glued to it can help, tie it up outside . keep all pets in for this day. the best answer is noise, using a shot gun should scare any coyotes away. had some get on my acres and heard the yelp and barks. kept my barking dogs in (Labs) and fired a 10 gauge turkey gun in the path of the sound. no more yelps or coyotes

I believe they killed a beagle in my back yard last week. This dog runs every night, belongs to the "neighbor" out back that has never made an effort to stop her barking, or to introduce himself for that matter.

Last week we heard her usual howling but this time it was accompanied by the howl of a coyote or two. Within minutes, there was a distress howl from the beagle and then silence the rest of the night. I could not see where they were or I would have opened up on them. Even the wife feels bad, I have not found the body and the neighbors have not looked that I know of.
    Bayrat

Looks as though they may have gotten my cat this morning. The wife let her out just after first light and she has not been back, very unusual particularly since it has rained all day.

I spotted two of them about a half hour after the cat went out, they were in the field in back of my house. Now I have to seek revenge.

Bayrat

ok now llamas are the best coyote protection you can get short of the rifle/shotgun.before we got ours coyote's were killing four lambs a week! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] so it was the only option for us but we have had it for a few months now and havent lost lambs so its working.i would get a llama personly it would give you some good protection and give your kids a really good laugh

Finally! A REAL reason to buy a llama! I mean, other than the pyramid scheme of buying llamas so that other people will buy them...

Interesting thread especially after chasing one away that had one of our cats treed the other day. We are not really out in the country as we have housing developments all around us. Between us and 3 neighbors we have about 30 acres of open wooded property in the vicinity and this is the first coyote I have seen in the two years we have been here.

Wasn't 50 feet from the house and reading this thread gives me the willies. We have two semi house cats and a medium size dog that thinks she is a big dog. No fences and most often we just let the dog out on here own when nature calls. Have no doubt she wouldn't hesitate to take on a coyote and end up on the losing end.

I did get a shot at it but missed, been 40 years since I have done any shooting and jerked the trigger like an armature. He was only about 40 feet from me just standing there looking at me. Only rifle I have
    is an old Winchester 22 LR bolt. Have no doubts it would have done the job if I hadn't screwed up. If I get another chance that sucker is history...

We live in constant attack mode, we saw six of them running through the property about a month ago. I took shots at them, but they are fearless [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . They stand there and look at you. I am terrible shot, my husband would have done better. This Spring target practice. Being in a housing area, I don't know an answer for you, We don't have another house for a full mile or more.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere