Thread: Chicken yards always dirt?

Chicken yards always dirt?

I want to get some laying chickens (25 or less) and put them in a well-fenced area that is at least 60' by 60' (though it could be 'expanded' to 125' by 118') so the chickens can free range and eat insects, grass, etc.

However, I just read that chickens will turn their yard into a dirt area no matter how large it is. I figured the area right next to the chicken house might get that way, but is the whole area really going to be turned into a dirt patch?

I've never raised chickens, so I'm asking those of you who do just how large their range/yard is and if it really has been turned into dirt. Also, how does a portable 'free-range' cage/coop work if this is true. Is it length of time on an area instead of amount of area? Would rotating smaller yards be better than allowing them access to the one, large yard? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Kristine

Re: Chicken yards always dirt?

Kristine, I haven't raised chickens in many years now, although my parents and grandparents continued with chickens most of their lives. I suspect you read about right. I think twenty-five chickens in a 60' x 60' will soon result in nothing but dirt and mud. The 125' x 118', if it has a good stand of grass, might keep some of the grass.

We have only 5 that are free-rangers. If ours were confined to that space they would strip the ground clear in no time. It's not only the scratching for bugs and such, but ours love their green vegetables also (they eat the grass). We feed them layer chow, but they eat, Eat, EAT. It is amazing how much they eat. (Did I mention they eat a lot?) But, they are fun to watch and the eggs are mighty tasty. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (Is that the lip-licking symbol?)

Oh, about the portable yard- the term you will want to use for your internet search is "Chicken tractor".

You didn't say where you are at. If you are where grass grows good. You might not have a problem in a 60 by 60. And if it gets good rain and not to hot, you sure wouldn't have a problem with a 125 by 118. But if you live where its hot and dry most of the year, then you might.

You have two issues to deal with:

1). High nitrogen content in the chicken poop.
    2). Denuding through grazing.

Bermuda grass was invented for high nitrogen situations and is tough enough to withstand the grazing. However, you need it to be established before you turn them loose on it.

They also like to "scratch for bugs" so have place where they can do that.

Not to mention the dust baths. When I witnessed the first one of those, I was sure I had a chicken with the plague!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh, about the portable yard- the term you will want to use for your internet search is "Chicken tractor".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Those are great!!! We use to have chickens at our old farm that lived in the horse barn... they use to make a mess...

When we got our new farm my wife said I couldn't have any chickens until I built a coop... and I've been lazy about getting it done... but these look great... This will be my winter project so I can have some chickens this spring!!!!

Here is a good link:

Chicken Tractor
    - William

The chicken tractor idea is a really good one, but I made a mistake when I tried to build one. I followed a plan I found online, but I didn't follow it exactly. My error was that I built it "stronger", but what that wound up being was "heavier".

My chicken tractor is almost impossible to move, and causes serious back pain to get it moving. I use my tractor to try to pick up one end, which has done nasty damage to the thing.

As far as having a space where chickens won't turn it in to a dust / mud bowl, the simple answer is to limit the number of chickens. I am down to two hens (oh, I sure don't miss the many roosters I used to have [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]) in an area about 40x60 and they have scratched out a couple of areas for the dirt baths but that is about it.

Even funnier than watching chickens take the dirt bath is watching llamas do it. We have some next door and they are quite a treat - and I don't have to take care of them [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Just get a few, put them in a fenced in, safe place, and they are pretty low maintenance. Oh, and bear in mind that roosters tend to be quite mean and aggressive. I've heard of exceptions, but haven't seen any myself [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    roosters tend to be quite mean and aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, they can be cured of that. When I was a kid, we once had a big old White Leghorn rooster that liked to attack me. Dad thought it was funny, but he told me that you know a rooster attacks by jumping up and pulling his feet up to get those spurs at you. He said to just grab both feet and dip him in the cow's watering trough. I did that, but the next day he attacked again. So that time when I dipped him in the watering trough, I held him under awhile and watched the bubbles. And when I pulled him out and threw him as far as I could, he just landed in a heap; scared me because I knew if I'd killed dad's rooster, he'd nearly kill me. After a little bit, that rooster started flopping around like his head had been cut off, but finally staggered to his feet and recovered. And he always gave me a wide berth after that. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Haha... Well, my wife use to pick up our rooster and pet it like a cat!!! I'm not sure if he liked it or not... she did get spured a couple of times... She already gave the order, however... No Rooster! We are looking at getting two Banums and two larger egg layers... four in all.

I'll post pictures of the chicken tractor as construction begins... I will try and keep in mind the weight issues... I also tend to make things TOO strong, only because I hate things to break and like them to last a long time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    - William