Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close encounter of the BC variety

Re: Close encounter of the BC variety

Kerr, Thanks for the invite. I have been right by/through that general area (Tishamingo and the WMA) but didn't spend much time roaming the countryside. Sounds like maybe we should take a little longer and go a little slower the next time we get to be in that area.

I used to not worry about the pumas. A buddy and I scufed our feet as we hiked a trail in Baja California del Norte, Mexico highlands to erase large cat tracks so as not to upset my wife (third in line on this hike) That evening as we set up camp my bud and I were out foraging for downed wood and my wife was setting up the domestic situation for preparing the evening meal.

She glanced at a rock outcropping about 75 feet away and saw our fawn colored Great Dane surveying his temporary domain in the early twilight. Thinking there might be just enough light for a snapshot she stepped back to get her camera and tripped over Thor (the Dane). When she looked back at the rock the Puma was gone.

At one of our all time favorite camping/hiking locations in the mountains east of San Diego, California one of the fellas from the lab where we worked had a close encounter with a puma. He was mountain biking and had to dismount and hold the bike between him and the cat. After 15-20 min of this "chess game" of cat and mouse the cat seemed to lose interest and back down so the guy started to exit the area pushing his bikke along thinking he would mount up after he got off a ways but his retreat exicted the predator instincts and the cat renewed its interest. This scenario was played out repetitively for a few hours untill finally the guy got away completely unharmed just seriously rattled.

A lady jogger in this exact same area was not so lucky and was killed and eaten. The offending cat was shot by specially authorized personel and human remains were recovered from its gut. This made the national news. We stopped hiking there since in the great state of KALIFORNIA you can't carry a gun for self defense.

There have been a number of ongoiing big cat sightings real near us (within a 3 mile radius) with one couple swearing they saw an African lion after a cow. I suppose it is possible with all the illegal exotic pets that outgrow their "cute" stage and get dumped.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have several hundred acres in North Texas. We are loaded with bobcats, coyotes, foxes, skunks, and neighbors dogs.

In 20 years I have never seen bobcats or coyotes as a problem. I'm sure they would take a fawn if possible but that's just nature. They are pretty well nocturnal. I don't mess with them and enjoy seeing them.

Neighbors roaming dogs are another matter. I've seen them chase my horses and calves and my neighbors. Dogs have just about ruined deer hunting. They are handled on an as needed basis. A couple of neighboring ranchers shoot dogs on sight. I know the dogs are only doing what comes naturally but you can't shoot the rude owners. They have been asked many times to keep up their pets. None of these people have much acreage, any livestock or are hunters. Most of my neighbors keep their dogs penned.

BTW, it is illegal to protect your property in my neck of the woods. Dog problems are supposed to be reported to the Sheriffs Dep't. Of course, by the time the Deputy arrives, the dog has left. However, if a dog owner makes a complaint over a missing dog, it is investigated and the offending shooter is ticketed. Most of the guys I know take care of the problem and keep their mouth shut.

The best policy is a variant of the don't ask don't tell. NEVER get in a tiff with anyone about their dog. If anyone shoots the dog or it just gets sick they will swear it was you. I have a liberal stray dog policy that varies depending on what they are doing and if they overstay there welcome which is immediate if they take an interest in stock.

Around here it is shoot and bury or dump and go on. We are definitely rural but 25 miles in 3 directions to decent cities and so we end up as a dump ground for unwanted animals, even emus and such. A reputable friend saw an African Lion. No mane but a tassle on its tail and they are fully aware of what they look like and these folks don't drink.

For many, any lose dog is shot on sight. My policy is more lax but may be subject to change depending on the severity of the proplem. We have coyote and bobcat a plenty and saw our first Oklahoma puma in the back yard as mentioned in "THAT THREAD." I have never shot at any of "MY" coyotes and have never documented a problem. Like you said, dogs are the worst, especially when they pack up.

There are about 400 breeds of domestic dogs with some breeds having a history of quite a few generations. They are all just selectively bred Southeast Asian grey wolves. To expect them to act otherwise in groups is to confuse Disneyland with reality.

Before anyone thinks any of us to be blood thirsty... Think again. I don't gooff my property hunting dogs. Dogs in jeopardy come to me AND get into mischief before they are candidates for removal.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dogs are the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

They were really bad out around Healdton, OK, in the early 50s. They killed a horse of mine, a horse across the road from our place, a hog about a mile from our house, and attacked our milk cow right by the barn once; likely would have killed her if Dad hadn't been there and ran out and chased them off.

I need to change my above post. We USED to have coyotes, bocats, etc. The roaming dogs have made all wildlife sightings unusual. Not really rare but unusual and even armadillos now make us stop and watch.

Bird, KUDOS to your dad, he is lucky they didn't go for him if he was empty handed. I have this thing about dogs... One dog no matter his size or training will receive as good or better than he gives me. Two dogs and I would rather be somewhere else if empty handed. Three or more dogs up close and if not armed with a semi-auto I'd still rather be somewhre else. I think the danger grows tremendously fast as their numbers increase, especially if they have something down and a taste of blood.

Oh and the only time I was in Healton was for my dad's company picnic. Quite a blowout.

Pat, there were just two dogs that attacked our cow; a black and tan hound and a reddish/brown cross breed of some kind. They shredded her ear a bit. I was in school at the time, but they said Dad was running toward the barn and yelling for Mother to bring his gun. But by the time she got out there with the gun the dogs had taken off through the woods. And I'm sure I'll never forget the day they killed the horse across the road. We lived at the top of a hill and one rainy Sunday morning, we were getting ready to go to church and heard the dogs and horse, but had no idea what was going on. When we started to church, at the bottom of the hill, across the road, those same two dogs had the horse down and had torn one ear out of its head, but they took off as soon as we stopped. Dad called the sheriff and a deputy came out, but could not locate the owner. He didn't live on the property and no one knew who owned the place or the horse. So he said he couldn't shoot the horse to put it out of its misery without the owner's permission. That horse laid there in the mud for 3 days before it died. Just made me sick to leave an animal like that.

After church that day, I went hunting for those dogs, finally gave up, came back to the house, and just as I got to the house, I spotted them in the woods across the road, but they got away before I could even get a shot off.

I didn't actually see them kill my horse, but just found her dead one day at the back of the pasture and the ground was torn up in a circle around her just like it was with the horse across the road.

But another time, I was in the house when I saw those two dogs going down the road. By the time I could get a gun and get out there, they were a long ways off, but I did hit the red one with one shot from my .22. She yelped, spun around a time or two, and they took off through the woods. I followed a blood trail a ways, but then lost it, and never saw her again. So I don't know whether she lived or died.