Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildlife Food Plot Mixes

Re: Wildlife Food Plot Mixes

Tried to edit post but was unable.

Wildlife food plots are an excellent idea. Perhaps even add flowers.

Can't give advice on what and how to plant as my limited knowledge is from another era and area! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have birdsfoot trefoil ( invasive) for summer range, and 15 foot strips of Mossy Oak Biologic Perennial mix for winter feeding. I limed with 40 lb bags at a rate of 4 ton/acre ( just on the strips with an ATV and drop spreader) I bought 10-10-10 fertilizer at Wal-Mart on close out at the end of the year at $ 3.00 for 40 lb. Our soil is Jersey sand so I apply fertilizer at a 1/3 rate once a month until October. The trefoil dies off after a hard frost, but does seem to hold longer where I let the grass grow high (Indian Grass) and the Biologic just barely holds growth because it is eaten as fast as it grows. I do not use a preplant weed killer, because deer eat the many forbs, little trees, and other stuff that grows along with what I plant. Rye grass is eaten, but has little nutritional value and palatability after it matures for the winter. I tried Alsike Clover which grows in acid soil, but the deer wouldn't touch it, even though it grew well. It took our deer two years before they really got into the trefoil, so have patience. I have noticed, that letting areas grow with minimal mowing attract deer because of the indigeonous plant material that propogates naturally.

Ok, I got my feet wet with some Biologic stuff from good old Wally World. And much to my suprise, it actually works. I ain't kidding, it actually works. I have only seen one deer over it so far but there sure is a lot of sign and a lot of plants where the deer have eaten all the leaves off!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

There a new magazine for hunters who manage the land & wildlife..HuntingCamp Journal.

www.HuntingCampJournal.com

Maybe worth a look.