Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coiled snake alert

Re: Coiled snake alert

Thanks for the info... I've learned in my few years that there is always some truth to every myth... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ... and some myths that are true...
    - William

Here's a couple that I caught Summer '04 near my home in Fayette County, AL. They were definitely full grown specimens, and I didn't test to see if they would give me a "full dose" of venom. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I kept them in a terrarium for a couple of days before releasing them.

Debian - The choice of a GNU generation.

Robert, Great photos, man! The one shot with the red and white cedar(?) chips making a near perfect camoflage background is outstanding. My, what attractive diamond like patterns on their backs... I wonder what kind of snake it is? (NOT!)

Time to forget the NO GUTS NO GLORY BS and opt for personal safety.

I'm virtually antediluvian in my poisonous snake policy. I can ID our resident serpents as to their being poisonous or not to a virtual 100% accuracy. I do not hunt for poisonous snakes. I know I have cotton mouth water mocasin, copper head, pigmy rattler, western diamond back and whatever. That is fine if the snake and I aren't trying to occupy the same space at the same time. When we meet and I have the means at hand (I virtually always do as I carry a spare clip with shot shells for my Baby Glock in .45ACP) it is a dead snake.

Before any tree/snake huggers call for a rope... In 5 years I have shot one copper head and one cotton mouth. The cotton mouth was swiming toward my wife and the copper head was in the way of fence repairs and was getting real cranky. I don't look for opportunities to kill snakes and NEVER BUT NEVER kill a non poisonous variety. Some of the terrain on my place could put you in a fix if you encountered a "bad" smake so I switch to the shot shells when fencing or whatever in those places.

Thanks again for sharing those pix, they are outstanding.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,

You sound like a reasonable person. I have no problem with your policy in regards to snakes. I wish more people felt the way you do instead of indiscriminately killing all snakes. I killed a copperhead in my yard the same summer I caught these two. I could have caught it and relocated it elsewhere, but my dog was getting bold and I was afraid he was going to get bit before I could safely catch the snake and get it in a safe container. I, like you, have taken the time to learn to identify snakes in my area. I don't go looking for them either, but do come across several each year during my work/play outdoors. I usually catch and play with the non-poisonous ones, then release them. And, I usually give the poisonous ones a wide berth and go on about my business.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. They're posted at Sacha Korell's Natural Elaphe - Snakes of North Alabama Page. There are pictures there of other snakes native to Alabama if you're interested.

BR

Robert, I tend to catch and do show and tell with the non-poisonous variety as well. A PhD biologist friend of mine was just leaving our place after a visit when a large black snake went across the driveway in front of him. He slid to a stop and dived out and chased it down and walked a couple hundred yards back to the house to share it with us. It was longer than my wife who stands a tad over 5'7"

I enjoy some of the antics of non-poisonous varieties trying to act tough with their hissing and false strikes and even contorting their heads to try to resemble a bad guy.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I caught a ~5' grey rat snake (aka "chicken snake") up at church camp one summer. I was using the opportunity to educate some of the kids about one of God's beautiful creatures and to encourage them to respect, but not fear, snakes. If you've ever messed with rat snakes, you probably know that the young ones are usually pretty docile, but the older ones can be quite ornery. Just as I was showing the kids how harmless the snake was, it struck and sunk its teeth into my face just under my left eye. Its little back-turned teeth got hung in my skin for a couple of seconds and when I finally got it loose, the blood was flowing. Needless to say, I think the effect of that little lesson on the kids turned out to be directly opposite of what I intended. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I probably created the most dedicated group of snake killers ever!

Robert

Robert, Yeah, you and the Crock dude on TV. I saw him tagged on the end of his nose by a lizard.

Be advised that the hog nose snake is listed as non poisonous in some referrences but IT IS POISONOUS. It just doesn't have hypodermic needle hollw fangs up front. If you let it get part of you in the back of its mouth you may be envenomated.

Pat,

Yeah, I was aware of the hog-nosed snake's venom. Thanks.

Interestingly, I've seen lots more hog-nosed snakes around the house the past couple years. This past summer, I came across two very large specimens near my dad's pond (frogs are a favorite menu item for hog-nosed snakes). Both of these were jet black with a bright white belly. I'd never seen this color phase around here. They're usually colored very much like a pigmy rattlesnake.

The first one, immediately started "playing possum" when I grabbed it. I have a dog that has been bitten by a copperhead and has been a snake killing machine ever since. He had bayed the snake and I was attempting to rescue it. I had intended to just sling the snake out into dad's pond and let it swim to safety while I held the dog. But, seeing as how the snake started its dramatic performance, I was afraid it would drown if I threw it in the water. I ended up having to hang it high in a sapling out of the dog's reach.

About 10 minutes later, farther around the pond, he bayed another one about the same size. But, before I could get to it, he grabbed it and slung it to pieces.

Hog-nosed snakes certainly put on a good show. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Later,

BR

BR, If you pick up one of the belly up hognosed who are doing there "dead snake" imitation and lay them down right side up they will flop back over to try the "dead snake" thing again, totally blowing the impression by rolling over.

They are one of the more interesting "acts."

I have never seen that color phase for a hognose. All I have ever seen are wearing "pygmy rattler" camo.

when we got the land last spring neighbors told me of two big blk snakes that lived in the fields{ they dont freak me out} while hubby was brushhogging lower field i walked up in to cove{ weed and brush hip high} early spring still pretty cold except in full sun. i sat in a clearing, thinking about what needed to done here first, then i heard somthing rattling in the weeds about 5 ft from me, got up and there he was "Big Black Bubba' he was acting like a rattle snake coiled up and shaken his tail against the dryed leaves. he was getting pretty mad.i stood there talking to him{aparenty ill talk to any thing LOL}told him we were gonna have to share this place.he flicked his scales to speckled white. then after about 15 min he turned and went in to the woods, he was huge ,im sure hes been the boss of the cove for many years.i always look for him when i walking, so far hvent got him with the tractor. would be great if he would move down to my blue berry field. bet he'd keep the birds out! Rose