Thread: Neoprene Cinch

Neoprene Cinch

Does anyone have an opinion on the neoprene cinch strap for saddles? I've never used one, nor do I know anyone that has one, but I've been considering purchase. However, I have visions of the saddle spinning when I step on the stirrup. While I realize that thought is exaggerated, neoprene does get slick when wet.

I've also seen these "air flow" waffle looking neoprene cinches. That looks like it would be a bit on the abrasive side, or at least somewhat irritating.

If anyone has any pros or cons on either, I'd appreciate hearing them. Is there a particular brand I should acquire/stay away from? Are they all they are cracked up to be?

Thanks, Susie

Re: Neoprene Cinch

i have the waffle air flow type, and a saddle pad, i use it on my daughters horse, it seems to work pretty good, i got her a wintech saddle{ so she could saddle her own horse} i have big draft mule i ride and 50-60 lbs i use on them, ambers saddle is about 15 lb maybe less. i have used her girth a few times on my mule saddle when i have left mine at the house, it seems to work better on the mules than what i normaly use on them .dont slip half as much as cotton, its like little grippies does that make sense?io would buy another one, i cant memeber what brand it was i think maybe wintech also.. got it at stock sale few years ago. i have a rayon/felt cinch i like real well, i can find them any more, jeffers use to have them. have you ever ordered from them? great catalog.. rose

I was having the same problem with my quarter horse. He does not have a very prominent withers, so I would find the saddle moving around, even after retightening the cinch. My western saddle has the rings for a second (flank) cinch. Using this second cinch made all the difference.

Rozett,

You actually tighened a flank cinch up? Did your quarter buck? I thought the flank rings were only for a loose strap that keeps the saddle from flipping(up in the back) when roping. I've been out of it for many years, so i could be mistaken. I'm planning on getting back into some Buckskins in a couple of years after the house is built.

RD

I would also be nervous to tighten a flank cinch. Unless the sadle is far forward which might be uncomfortable for the horse... Then again, some horses are more tolerant than others.

Joe

I did tighten it... but I did pay attention to where it was. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Actually, there's a strap between the two cinches which keeps the rear cinch pulled forward.