Thread: Strawberries

Strawberries

My strawberries got bit when the temperatures hit the teens back in December. They're brown now. Can I expect the roots to come back this spring, or should I plan on a new planting? I have them in a raised bed and could have protected them to some extent with a row cover or mulch. Mea culpa.

Chuck

Re: Strawberries

It may depend on the type of plant. Here in the frozen north strawberry plants survive our winters.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon,

Down here they often stay green through the winter, especially if you mulch them. I didn't get around to mulching my bed, and in early December we had a few days of temps in the F teens. I'm hoping the plants survived and will come back strong in the spring, but there are very few geen leaves there now. This is a new raised bed and was doing fine late last summer and fall. I've tried three times before for a strawberry patch and the grass, weather and deer defeated me each time. This time I made the raised bed and fenced it, and then after all that work I didn't mulch the plants as I knew I should. Live and learn....or not.

Chuck

If strawberries survive for Egon they should make it just about anywhere. In NW Ohio (Lima) our garden strawberry patch as well as wild strawberries always survived the winters. I used to get the last picking of the season the first time the ripe berries froze. No good after the first frost thawed.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Just a guess, but I'll bet they come back. My granddad, and later my dad, had a strawberry patch in southern Oklahoma that kept producing year after year for many years. There's no telling how many freezes they survived.

Sorta of topic but a little related.

Seems I can recall reading somewhere that many of the strawberry sets used in warmer climates come from the Maritimes??? grin:

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, It is a plant rescue operation where plants are rescued from cruel circumstances and given new lives under better circumstances!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hi Chuck, We have had strawberries for about 6 or 7 yrs and whether a deep freeze or a foot of snow they always seemed to come back fine,without putting anything over them [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (maybe we should have).... We did however plant them close behind the house to keep the critters from getting them..

We are kinda in re-arrangement mode so the strawberries are history for this year coming... our patch was only 21 plants to start but grew pretty large quick..

We will have them again because they are so yummy... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]