Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Natural Gas vs. Propane

Re: Natural Gas vs. Propane

Pat , just the sound of jacking 1 into the chamber would scare the crap out of me, and I don't skeer easy. I know they use to sell the mosberg 20 Ga. with the interchangable grip and stock. I started to buy one but they don't make it anymore so the one you have is solid gold, guard it and it will guard you. Later, Nat

Nat, Hmmm, I don't think I ever saw it in 20 ga, just the 12 ga like I have. Yeah, the sound of a pump shotgun action cycling, empty or otherwise, especially in a dark quiet enclosed space that reverberates the sound a bit makes your spider senses get all tingly.

I doubt there is a perp anywhere who hasn't heard it enough times in movies to not have it engraved on the core patern matching area of the sound processing module in his brain. Close runners up for second place to my thinking are a 1911 Colt .45 action cycling and bringing my .44 mag single six (Ruger Super Blackhawk) to full cock. The Ruger is not so loud but has a distinct signature, a sound that makes you go HMMMM as Arsenio Hall used to say.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, Pat, the new sabot shotgun slugs will go completely through a car. A pump shotgun with a variety of different loads is the idea defense weapon. Drywall won't help the crook hide if you have your Mossberg, or my Mossberg, and some good ammo. That, plus the shotgun is still looked upon as a: "gentleman's gun" as in bird hunting.....whereas a Blackhawk in .44 MAg is viewed as, well,....a "gun nut's" weapon, bought just to kill people. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, That is a Super BlackHawk!!!! Not just a lowly Blackhawk (.357 mag vs .44 mag.) Sloppy thinking if the single action cowboy style pistol that has to be manually cocked to fire is thought of as designed for killing people. Not that it won't but a double action or semi-auto is more of a WMD.

I thought short 12 ga pumps (a riot gun) had a knarly rep too.

When I carried the Mossberg for protection while fishing Alaska I loaded "00", "000", and saboted slug at the same time on the theory that if I had to fire on a griz it would be in a situation where the range was diminishing rapidly and the seriousness of the threat would be escalating so I loaded in the order mentioned to escolate lethality. Boy am I glad I only saw Mr. Bear from a distance, a safe distance. A co-worker lost all his back packing food to a griz and has to walk out of the back country for three days on a couple granola bars. He had "saved" the inconvenience of a $25 returnable deposit on a bear proof food container.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When I hear the name: "Blackhawk" it always reminds me of that incident in....ALaska......maybe it was someone you knew?......where the guy is up there on vacation and is swinging up into a helicopter and his "hawk" slides out of his Wyatt Earp holster and drops onto the concrete, hits on the hammer, and the sheer weight of that loaded hand cannon shears off the half-cock notch and it fires. The bullet went upward and under his leg, decorating the interior of the bird with little pieces of his patella. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That precipitated a recall to modify the Hawks with some kind of a bar system. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I know this will be hard to believe"but". The first boy that came "visiting" my daughter was a real loser. Isn't that the way it always will be with daddy's baby girl? Anyway his father was a farmer and had beef cows. He heard something in the barn so he went to check it out. He took his old single barreled 12 ga. with him and his fiest dog. He had problems getting around because he lost a leg to cancer. He didn't find anything wrong so he went back in. He was taking his boots off and the little fiest knocked the shotgun over, he had stood it up beside the counter and as it fell it went off and shot him, guess where. Yep, In the good leg. True story, but no body will believe it, Later, Nat

Dave, My Super Blackhawk is one of the earlier ones without the locking bar. It has four hammer positons: 1. rests the firing pin on the primer if cylinder is loaded, 2. brings the hammer up just a tad 3. half cock (AKA the white zone, for loading and unloading only), and 4. full cock (to be performed when ready to shoot.)

I have only had mine "in the dirt" twice. Once getting into a mil jeep with the hammer strap not snapped and once when a jug headed horse that I was mounting stepped back tightening a rope around its nect tied to a tree. When it felt the rope tighten it tried to back away from the tree and pulled the rope tighter and panicked. My buddy whose sheath knife I had carefully sharpened for him the previous night, cut the 3/4 inch rope in one slice. the horse fell backwards and to the left. The horse ended up down on its left side with me still in the saddle. I had to dismount to let the horse get up off my downside leg. Sometime in all this the gun unholstered and went in the dirt.

It would have been poetic justice if it had shot the horse. It broke the left stirrup which I jury rigged with some of the cut rope and took the horse out and gave it a very vigorous workout. My wife and budy were surprised that none of me was busted.

Funny thing about this pistol...it came in a box marked 7 1/2 inches but doesn't measure 7 1/2 inches anywhere. I called Ruger and they admitted to having made a few .44 mags from .41 mag barrel blanks and offered to rebarrel the pistol for me free of charge. I don't mind it being a bit shorter and will probably never take them up on their offer.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat, did you carry that Superb Blackhawk with one empty chamber under the hammer like the cowboys of the Old West? Have you drilled on the: "I've just got one round left; when I snap the cylinder back in, which side of the frame does the round go on?" You should be doing that drill every morning, Pat...... no sliding by on weekends. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave