Thread: Egon, did they get you?

Egon, did they get you?

Re: Egon, did they get you?

20 years is not enough. He shot at the moose, knowing it was illegal, and with his wife and kids in the car yet. He should never be allowed to hunt again, or own a firearm. I do not hunt illegally,so why should he get off? What else has he poached?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    20 years is not enough

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but since it also cost him $4,025 in fines, his car and rifle; doesn't sound too lenient to me. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Theoretically, at least, the purpose in punishment is to "reform" the offender and if that doesn't do it, I don't know what would. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ahh - No They's missed me. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I's know better than to shoot at a Moose. They are very big and take a lot more puff than I have to carry out. [ Don't ask me how I know this ]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I agree Bird. He paid for his crime. That is all you can ask. Many people have temporary lapses of reason. I've had trophy elk and deer in my sights before out of season and it's tough not to pull the trigger. I'm not condoning it by any means. But he got his due.

Cowboy, A lot of folks shoulder their rifle to use the telescopic sight to check out something they can't see well enough with the naked eye. Then if the something is identified as something that would give great satisfaction shooting and the chain of events: bring rifle to the ready position, allign with and ID the target, and then there is only one action left in the well rehearsed sequence, squeeze the trigger, so it is no wonder some folks "lose it."

I have been afield in the olden days and have "hunters" shoulder their weapon and bring it to bear on me! Most likely they were substituting the rifle scope for binocs but at ranges of well over 100 yds (300-500 or more) I can't tell if the BOZO has his finger inside the trigger guard and the safety off so I hit the dirt or take cover and prepare to return fire which can of course be interpreted as a hostile actioin by the BOZO but I don't like to just stand there like a post to wait and see.

The moral of the story... get and use binocs! You can't shoot anything with them and most likely you won't start an "accidental" exchange of fire by checking someone out wilth binocs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

looking at someone down the barrel of a gun is never good practice. Being looked at would not be too pleasant either. I myself can give witness to that since I was shot in both hands and both legs and stomach with 12 guage #6 heavy load at about 8 yards away. I was really young so I healed fairly well, only lost a finger, a wrist joint and a little flesh. Probably can't get past a metal detector if picks up lead shot. What I dont understand about these decoys is; when all the ATV's were getting stole around here, including mine, I suggested setting one out in a local yard and watching it for a few nights. I'm almost certain it would have led to arrests but the sheriffs dept. says thats entrapment, a person could not be convicted if caught that way. Why is this decoy thing not entrapment? I can see the point of it but what if someone shot a decoy that normally would never shoot at anything like that, a deer that just hangs around in the field all day or night might look tempting to someone enough to go home and get a gun, not that they would be driving around just hunting for animals to shoot at. Seems like that would be just as much entrapment as the other but then again I hate polotics and thats just part of the way our legal system works I suppose.

When my neighbor and I had problems with a certain deer "club" trespassing we had both the State Police and Fish and Game out here. Hands down, if you want to prosecute, go with Fish and Game. Not that the State Police aren't as willing to help, there are things they just don't know or are not trained for. Fish and Game deal with this sort of problem every day and their word is gospel in court, with the court using the premise that the warden would not have cited you if you were doing nothing wrong. Besides, animals have more rights than humans in this day. Kid is attacked by a cougar. More funds were sent to address the plight of the cougar than the kid.

you are right about the fish and game, they pretty much can arrest you anywhere in the state I believe. The judge definately will take their word, a friend of mine told me his father-in-law was returning from hunting and realized he forgot to stop at the grocery store so he turned around and headed back to town. Just so happened he turned around in a driveway that went into a big field and as he turned his headlights cast across the field and before he got a mile down the road a warden had him pulled over and fined for harrassing wildlife, spotlighting and something else. He couldn't get anywhere arguing with the warden so he had his day in court and didn't get anywhere with the judge either. He had his gun hanging in the gunrack and it was even unloaded. Its not illegal to have the gun loaded as long as you are not adjacent to federal land but if you involve headlights with guns here, look out! I guess its a good thing to have the law enforcement but some things to me seem a bit harsh as to where other things seem a bit lean. Thats life I guess