Thread: No trap under the tub? Did somebody forget?

No trap under the tub? Did somebody forget?

If you recall, last year I was remodeling a basement bathroom and discovered somebody had placed a shower stall over a drain pipe with no trap, leading to funky smells in the basement. I broke the concrete out, put a trap in, got the remodeling done, all is well.

Now the upstairs bathroom on the other hand....I noticed when the attic ( whole house ) fan was on recently on a nice evening that the upstairs bathroom had that funky aroma, further, I noticed that the tub seemed to be giving it off....

Now that I think of it, I don't think there is a trap under it...shouldn't it have one?

I know the other plumbing in the house has one, I've replaced them already as they were the old thin chrome metal ( easy to corrode ) traps under the sinks and they collapsed when I was working with them.

Re: No trap under the tub? Did somebody forget?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    shouldn't it have one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall ever seeing one without a trap.

Have you used the tub lately? If not maybe the water evaporated out of the trap.

When planning on a long period of disuse I have poured mineral oil or vegetable oil into the trap as it doesn't evap and lose the seal so quickly.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

It didn't have a trap. I am sure it had one originally as I could see evidence of a prior hack job to remove the trap.

I took out the hacked pieces and put a trap in last night, no funky odors this morning and no spiders in the tub. The whole bathroom smells better. When I took a shower I noticed I didn't have that uprush of funky smelling air as the water ran down the drain to, amazing how much better a $3 trap makes things.