Thread: yard bird

yard bird

I sometimes call these guys sherbet birds for obvious reasons. My wife got this snap while the bird was in deep shadow and I had to goose the gamma to get some visible color. He is at least red, blue, green, and yellow.

The real name of this bird is Painted Bunting.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: yard bird

Three more yard birds in a conference about the equitable distribution of grain supplies. Mr. White, Mr. Dove, and some other thingy.

They all look to be about sandwich sized to me!

Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

We have enough dove to handle harvesting a few but we are short on quail. As a lad I shot zillions and one quail just about makes one good sandwich. Now we barely have enough of them to satisfy my desire to hear them call and not nearly enough to support harvesting.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Another snap of Robert. (Bob White)

We have at least one pair in the front yard and surround and another pair hangs out in the back of the house. They have several relatives farther afield.

We have song birds around, particularly Blue Birds, but not too many Doves and such.
    Gary

Gary, We have a good variety. I like the American goldfinch (AKA wild canary, but not related to a canary), lots of cardinals, bluebirds, armies of mockingbirds, house finches, redwinged blackbirds, whip-poor-will, tufted tit mouse, ladder back woodpecker, flickers, pileated woodpecker, red headed woodpecker, belted kingfisher, barn swallows, and on and on.

Barn swallow parents here are on either side of a babby who left the nest prematurely, about 3 days before managing flight. The parents would hang out with it and feed it. Three of them were out of the nest too early and 2 for sure and maybe all 3 ended up making it.

The parent caught in this snapshot immediatley prior to landing next to the baby illustrates the deeply forked tail of the barn swallow that easily distinguishes it from a lot of its cousins.

Pat,

It tickles me the way they, barn swallows, swoop around me while I mow the grass. They are after the bugs that are stirred up by my passage. They don't always appear, but I enjoy their antics when they do.
    Gary