Thread: Mr. Moccasin

Mr. Moccasin

Woke up this morning to find this thing in my driveway. Way too close to the house, he should've stayed back in the swamp where he belonged. Fatso the cat is feeling brave now that the head is blown off.

Re: Mr. Moccasin

DId you keep the skin as a trophy? Makes a neat hat band or a conversation piece after stretching, drying, and hanging on the wall in the fam room or den.

My policy is to NOT hunt for poisonous snakes but if we somehow find ourselves in each other's presence the result is a dead snake if it is at all possible. I cary a mag of shotshells for my Baby Glock in .45 ACP and change over when working fence or venturing into THEIR habitat (I have 10 ponds.) In 7 years I have shot at two snakes (and hit one) but I am prepared should the situation present itself.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I carry a .410 Tamer Shotgun NEF Tamer mounted on the ATV which is usually pretty close. Before that, I carried an 1865 Army Colt black powder revolver loaded with #8 shot. Worked pretty good on local copperheads. Still have the hatband.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

<font color="blue"> My policy is to NOT hunt for poisonous snakes but if we somehow find ourselves in each other's presence the result is a dead snake if it is at all possible. </font color>

Sounds like a good policy to me.

I usually just walk the other way. I've handled some of the deadliest snakes in the world and never been bitten by a venemous snake. Copperheads, water moccasins, and rattlesnakes are great vermin control, so I usually leave them alone. I understand most folks fear of them, but I don't have it, so if it gets too close to the house, I'll generally hunt it down, catch it, and move it somewhere where it won't bother my family or pets. I've seen the horrible circumstances that follow eradication of snakes as exemplified by Puerto Rico, where rats are completely out of control because some idiot decided to introduce the mongoose. A lot of snakebite incidents are related to people trying to kill them or giving them undue attention. I'm convinced that just leaving them be is the best solution. If you're really gutsy, take the ones that get close to the house and move them somewhere safe. I guarantee they were here first.

I usually take care of business with a sharp hoe but my cat had this guy so riled up that the 12 gauge was the obvious tool for the job.