Thread: hydrant

hydrant

I can't find any make info stamped on my hydrant and I'd like to have a repair kit before i take it apart. anyone have a guess at the make or if there is a "universal" kit? the photos I took are larger bytes than allowed but i could email them to you if necessary.

dave

Re: hydrant

Woodford is the original inventor of the frost free hydrant, but if it was one of theirs it would be marked as such.

You could reduce the file size of your photo using a free program such as IRFANVIEW. It's available for download HERE

If you wish you can email me the photo at w0gom@arrl.net and I'll resize it for you. But the Irfanview program is worth having in any case. It can do a lot more than just resize photos. If you tell us what software you do have, perhaps we can tell you how to reduce the file size.

And welcome to Country by Net!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have the same situation; two frostproof faucets with no labelling or markings of any kind. One was leaking pretty badly from the anti-siphon valve a couple of weeks ago, so I spent a lot of time on the Internet and visiting three plumbing supply companies, as well as two different Home Depots and two different Lowes and three different Ace Hardware stores. I found a plastic "universal" anti-siphon valve at two different Ace Hardware stores and one plumbing supply company. It's all plastic with a snap on plastic cap, where my original is a plastic valve, but a screwed on metal cap. The main valve stem is hollow and has a hole on the side from which water sometimes discharges when you first open the faucet, and one continues to leak there while the water is running.

And so far I've had no luck with finding any like mine, or determining who made them. The house was built in 1991 and I assume these faucets were installed at that time.

Take a look at Baker Monitor. They manufacture a yard hydrant. It might be what your looking for.

I am one of their distrubutors.

The website

bob...

There are a lot of unbranded frost free hydrants made in China. Good luck finding parts. Self defense would be to buy at least one extra to canabalize for parts when installing some.

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

got the jpeg reduced so I'll attach it here

Bob, I guess I used the wrong terminology. What I have are the frost-proof sillcock faucets sticking out of the exterior wall, through the brick. Mine are similar to the ones shown on this website, but all chrome or steel. The service kit shown is about what I bought at Ace Hardware. The cap just snaps on. Home Depot doesn't have the service kits, but does have the complete faucets or sillcocks. Theirs has a screw on cap, but it's plastic and a slightly different size from mine.

Ok, I misunderstood.

Your getting into Plumbers items now. If it were me, I would look for a good quality replacement. That's not something I would want to change every couple of years.

bob...

I just took a look at one of mine this evening, and it looks identical to yours. It's only a couple years old (which hopefully means there are parts still out there), but now I really wish I kept the minimal amount of info that came with it.

It does say CHINA on the top where the lever connects to the unit. I should have bought a set myself and had the contractor install them instead of letting him take care of purchasing them.

They haven't been a problem as of yet, so with any luck I'll get several more years out of them before I have any issues - on the plus side the FIL is a plumber and that should ease my pain when the time comes.