Thread: rattlers

rattlers

Ohh great now we got the deadlest and meanest snakes in the country.

http://www.svherald.com/articles/200...news/news2.txt

Re: rattlers

As far as I'm concerned, the western massauga is the most dangerous of snakes found in our area. They are aggressive and highly venemous. Their venom has neurotoxins and they are frequently found in rural yards, but not so often found in the city. They are small snakes and the younger ones are most frequently observed. These only have a button or two as their rattle. They don't make much noise, and they are aggresive strikers. A friend of mine was bitten when he stepped as he stepped out of his truck in his driveway. He was wearing sandals. You would not believe how much the anti-venom cost. Worst of worse, if the anti-venom isn't administered within a time limit, it's fairly useless. Be careful of these snakes. They are pinkish red around here, pretty little things, but dangerous. http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/tx...catenatus.html

Jim, we have plenty of Mohave's up here in the high desert, too (southern Yavapai county). I see more of them than the Western Diamondbacks.

Locals describe the Mohave as "permanently pi$$ed off".

Hank, As I previously mentioned to you, my sister lives in Wickenburg (about 6 months a year.) The last present I got her was a large jug of anti-smake granules to sprinkle around the not entirely effective snake wall in her back yard.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I would save my money. It's more like "snake oil" if you ask me. The primary ingredient I've seen for most "snake repellents" is napthalene, and plain old mothballs are much cheaper. I used to buy boxes and spread them around, until I found a Mohave sleeping on them. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

hank, The stuff I bought did not smell very pleasant but it did NOT smell of napthalene or paradichlorobenzine (moth balls or officer's bisquits if you are military minded.) Fo9r allk I know the stuff I gave my sister was worthless but sometimes people feel better trying to do somethging instead of feeling totally helpless.

Napthalene is the main ingredient of Snake Away and it messes with the snakes sensory system. This stuff worked on sand vipers and cobras over in the big sand box.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"