Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can you possibly go to work?

Re: How can you possibly go to work?

Eric, You mention Byars. Familiar with the brige over the south Canadian between Wanette and Byars? It is a long narrow (single lane) railroad bridge converted to vehicular traffic. It used to have a wooden roadbed but some yahoo in a fit of pi9que over his girl friend burned the bridge behind him and now it has a cement deck.

Anyway, 5 of us drove to Byars Friday for lunch at a place called HOG HEAVEN. It was worth the trip. We all enjoyed our BBQ. We have also gone to Amber (near Chickasha) to visit Ken's, the largest employer in town. It is a steak house that was written up in "Southern Living" magazine. It is a treat and so is getting to visit with the owner.

Rest assured that the SO CALLED Asher speed trap does not make the actual definition of a speed trap. All the signs are posted by ODOT at standard distances and if you come to a complete stop at the 4-way and observe the posted limits and don't do anything obviously illegal you are safe. I know the chief and his first assistant but not in their official capacity (bass fishing) as I was warned in advance by freinds who were ticketed. Elmore City is as bad or worse. Worse I think because I got bagged for 10 over at night when the sign was obscured by branches. I bet they fertilize that tree. By promptly paying the fine and not protesting the ticket they do not report the stop so your insurance and the state don't know it happened. Sound suspicious? Smell a little off. I think it reeks!

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I know Ken's quite well, although when I stay in Chichasha I usually just go to Jakes Rib for my BBQ fix - minus the ridiculous amount of fries they give you.
    In my travels, I have hit some good BBQ joints in our state, from the WildHorse in Sallisaw, Bobs in Ada, a little general store in Snow, Ball BBQ in McAlester and Billy Bob's in Shawnee, but I've never tried any in Byars. rest assured I will next time I'm there.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Eric, I nave been to some of the spots you mention but not the ones in Snow or McAlester. Bob's BBQ used to have a line out the door in the 60's like Ken's does at certain times. A lawyer named Bob, boughtBob's and ran it for a span of years but fairly recently sold out to a lady (not named Bob I think.) The last Bob (lawyer) and his sidekick/manager were college buds with the sons of a good friend of mine who lives in Norman. My friend's two sons and the other two used to hang together while attending OU.

A friend of mine and I are going to attend a two day goat seminar in Ada this Fri and Sat at the ag-plex and will be eating at Bob's most likely at least once.

Thre is only one commercial enterprise in Asher proper and that is a new part time antique store and tanning salon. (It scans) IF you tan enough it will make your skin look antique. Out on the highway there are two gas station/convenience stores, The Whistle Stop and the Circle K. The larger of the two now has a few tables and cooks burgers and fries to order but suprisingly they have a pretty good pizza, worth trying. It is prefab and doesn't take long plus they cook ahead and have them warm to go.

In Coalgate of course, the Old Coaly Cafe has good breakfast and OK the rest. They have some neat tables made from local Cedar. Rustic legs but finished tops. I int3end to make some like theirs.

I worked from about sun up (approximately as it was overcast) until nearly 10AM even during the rain (3/8 of inch while I was out in it) stringing 5 wire fence. I drove two T-posts into what had been a driveway for many years and the clay and gravel combo was nearly as hard as concrete. The rest of the soil wasn't that much easier. I tried using my FEL to press T-posts in and only two could be sunk to the required level all the rest had to be manually pounded in. With decent soil moisture the FEL does a great job but with the drought I raise the tractor up in the air and the T-post doesn't go in the dirt more than an inch or two.

OH... You audit schools. Any interesting observations that you can share with me regarding the monetary scandals at Wanette?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing I can share is that Wanette is NOT one of our clients, and for that I am thankful. We were the audit firm about 10 years ago during their first round of troubles. We'd show up to do their audit, and nobody would happen to be in the office that day - every year. I did hear that the woman principal resigned and went to work for the school's auditors. Interesting.

We also used to audit Asher schools, but we were asked to leave when John Hamilton and his wife resigned. I didn't really know them well, but they seemed like real good people. Many times a new superintendent will want to change auditors when they come in, thinking we are somehow on the side of the old superintendent, which is obviously not true.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Eric, I don't know any of the Wanette or Asher folks involved or any that you mentioned. I do know Fay Hudson, a past Asher super. He was in education quite a while and now raises cattle and many many tons of pecans most years. His eyes are starting to fail him but he is in his nineties and still chasing cows. Another friend's dad is 97 and still raising cattle (about the way it was done 75 years ago when he learned.)

Reminds me of a comment a Navy guy made to me, "Ahh, the Navy, over 200 years of tradition, unbroken by progress."

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]