Thread: Changing basebord 240V to 240V Receptacle

Changing basebord 240V to 240V Receptacle

Here is the deal, i have a spare bedroom i want to turn into a workshop. There is 240V going to the room to power a basebord heater it is on its on a breaker with 30 amp rating. I dont use the electric heat as a i have gas heat now. Can i use the 240V line going there to put in a Receptacle to power some power tools. Thanks!

Re: Changing basebord 240V to 240V Receptacle

If I where in that situation I would, providing none of the tools would draw more than 30 amps.

As long as you are connecting single phase 240V tools and do not exceed the 30 amp rating on your current breaker (assuming the wiring matches the rating (10 ga)) you should be fine. Only caution, make sure you are looking at single phase AC on your tools, some stationary power tools, especially mills or lathes, requre 3 phase power.

Bri

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Just put together a small sub panel with a 240V feed and a handful of breakers in it. That would give you a place to plug in 120v and 240v tools. That panel can be sort of a 'contractor's" panel, mounted on a plywood board and either sitting on the floor or hangng on a big hook. I've done that a few times when I was renting. I used the clothes dryer outlet to power up my temporary shop. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I Dont think i will need a subpanel, there is already 3 120V outlets in the room on there own 15 amp to handle all the 120 stuff i will be using, i checked the tools and they are all single phase. They are old tools i got from my dad, a grinder, drill press, Belt sander etc stuff he got from work that was all 240V. Wires are 10 gauge checked at breaker box and thermostat box so i think im good there, plus its only about a 6 foot run of wire from the panel to the thermostat for the heater. One quick question, i asked my dad this and got a wierd answer from him so want to ask you guys. Ive never wired 240 before so bear with me, done lots of 120 work though. I have a Inline voltage thermostat connected to the heater(240V), my dad said that was pretty much a big dimmer switch for the heater and to connect the plug/Receptacle into that electric box on the wall after i remove the thermostat not to where the heater itself is or i would have my power tools on a big dimmer switch and while that would be kinda funny its not what im going for. He said it would have 2 hot 120 wires and to connect them to opposite poles on the Receptacle and then ground the 3rd prong of the plug. Thus giving that outlet 240V, does that sound correct [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thanks!

Finished and it works, thanks for your help guys!