Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which way to go Tire Chains or Tire Cables

Which way to go Tire Chains or Tire Cables

With winter coming up I'm looking at getting some tire chains or cables for emergency use for my 2WD F-150.
    I was looking at some of the product at this site;
    http://www.vulcantire.com
    And was wondering if anyone had an opionion (I'm sure someone does) about chains or cables??

Thanks
    -dave

Re: Which way to go Tire Chains or Tire Cables

Alright, Chains are better than cables for snow and ice period. Now having said that it just depends on how much snow ice you get. I suspect not a whole lot and you do say for emergency use. Cables are geneerally a lot easier to put on and off than chains. So in your case I would reccommed cables but make sure they are easy on and off. Plus cables normally come in a nice storage box although they can be near impossible to put back in the box once used. I have a nice set of chains and cables out in my storage barn don't seemed to have had much use for them here in Tombstone

slapshot let me add to what was said above. your decision should be based on the amount of anticipated use and the amount of snow /ice you will use them in.

if your situation will be solely emergency use when there is snow or ice everywhere on the road, then go cable. if, however, you anticipate chaining up and driving in a mix of snow/ice and asphalt, like you would when you drive home on a busy freeway and the traffic has worn the snow down to asphalt, but there is still the need for chains then go regular chain. cable chains do not last long when driven at any speed on a hard road surface.

cable chains give a smoother ride on ice and when you hit hard asphalt, but in all but hard packed snow both types give a similar ride.

your biggest challenge w/ a 2wd, as you are likely aware, will be no weight over the back tires. when i drove a 2wd truck and i knew or thought there'd be snow i put 200-300 lbs of sand bags in the bed starting btwn the wheel wells and going back towards the tailgate.
    si vis pacem para bellum

Oh I understand about the weight thing. I've had trucks for years. I think EVERYBODY should drive a 2WD PU during a winter ateast a few times in their live. Its honest driving, its impossible to cheat.
    I usually keep a full tank of gas and about 200lbs of sand in the back, it helps alot.
    We recently moved to a new house with some pretty steep gravel roads leading to it. For the most part the truck does fine, it would be nice to have cables or chains if I need it.

-dave

The joys of driving [ herding ] a non loaded two wheel drive p/u over icy winter roads is indeed an experience! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You never know just how fast one can change direction without even trying.

Put a load in the back and some chains and it becomes a completly different machine. Add possi trac and you will feel you can climb a mountain.

I'd go with vbar chains for maximum effect. Make sure you have put them on and taken them off a couple times in choice locations as when you really need them it will be cold, wet, windy, muddy,dark or some combination of all of these. You will also be wearing your best clothes so keep some coveralls on hand.

Also make sure the chains are tight! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Here is my best "Have-Lived-High-Up-In-The-Sierras-Where-Chains-Were-NOT-An-Option" advice: *Use chains not cables. *Have the chains in one of those round rubbermaid snap top tubs. *Have the chains dropped in with a swaying motion with the HOOKS LAST so the chain lays perfectly and will COME OUT PERFECTLY when you need it. *Have a cardboard divider between the individual chains. *Put little tie wraps on the link that goes on the outside of the tire so you won't get them mixed up....put two tie-wraps on the RH side chain and one tie-wrap on the LH side chain. *Make a little "chicken hook" that you can use to grab the end of the chain that is behind the tire.* Make a little block out of a 2 X 6 with two cross-cleats that makes a place for the chain to drop into so you can pre-load the chain into the block and then run the rig up onto the block. * Last but not least have a piece of plastic sheet like a trash bag to put your knee on. If this sounds too complex, and you think this is too much planning, just think of it this way: you have SIX MINUTES to get the chains on before your hands are frozen to where you can't even operate the hooks.......SIX MINUTES....that's just two rounds in the ring for a boxer. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I can throw the "iron" on my vehicle before my hands freeze because I have everything all set up. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Oh, and one more thing.....when you take the chains off, you wash them and let them dry, and as you put them back in the tub, you spray them with WD-40. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A LICENSED "CHAIN MONKEY": [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] In California, the flatlanders like to go to the mountains to play in the snow. The flatlanders don't know anything about DRIVING in snow. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The flatlanders don't know anything about snow chains and how to install them, so.........professional chain installers, who are licensed by the state, position themselves along the snowy highways in order to get these naive flatlanders chained up and in compliance with the "chain requirements" as posted by Caltrans. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The stories that come out of those encounters are many and varied, and cover everything from the chains being just a ball of rust in the bottom of the trunk; to rented chains that don't even come close to fitting, to chains that are still broken from the LAST time they had them on to some "new-type" traction device that LOOKED GOOD in the Auto Zone store in San Francisco, but is in actuality, completely useless. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The chain monkeys have their trusty propane catalytic heaters going to try and thaw out frozen hands, but it's almost impossible to spend enough time in front of them to do any good. THEN somebody wants you to change a hundred-dollar bill and you can't get your fingers to work. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] When it's really cold and nasty, the driver pops the trunk by remote control and when you finally get him chained up, he slides your money through the tiniest crack in the driver's side window. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] here ya go, Kid... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    CJDave

So...huh..chains it is then!

-dave

Think it's sorta your call! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I drive all FWD vehicles so IF I have to chain up you can bet that it's pretty bad weather. I have ice-cutters on all my chains because if I need chains, chances are it'll be due to ice. yes, the ice cutters do cause the chains to be bumpier when they are run on no snow, but still well worth having. Also, properly cared for chains will be the same time after time where cables seem to get wierd and twisty over time, making it even more difficult to get them to lay on the tires so you can get everything hooked up. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave