Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal for puppies ?

Re: Is this normal for puppies ?

Sounds like a normal chihuahua, Bird. Mine was NOT! Friends still tell horror stories about this small thing that could take on dogs 3 times his size, and win. I only saw him lose twice. The first one was a big St. Bernard size dog (coat like a yellow lab, though. ??) He just picked up my mutt in his mouth and was about to give him The SHake of Death when a neighbor whacked him with the flat of a shovel, right on the head. Both dogs decided to go home! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The second time was an Oldsmobile. He was chasing, and gaining on, a dog much bigger than him, and they ran across a street. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Trust me, I know what you mean about them getting under your skin, in more ways than one.

Mark, I tried to read up a bit on Chihuahuas and one of the things I read was that they get along well with other Chihuahuas, but not with other breeds; that they'll pick fights that they're bound to lose. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] So I guess we'll see as she gets older, but so far that hasn't been the case. She enjoys playing with our daughter's pair of Maltese that are close to her size. And one of my brothers has a mongrel they got at an animal shelter and probably weighs 35 pounds. It was comical the first time they visited, because this little scamp went after that big dog, running in circles around him and jumping on him trying to get that big lazy sucker to play, and he looked confused as the dickens. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] But it wasn't long until they were taking turns chasing each other and rolling on the ground together. I don't think my brother and sister-in-law had ever seen their dog display that much energy. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Like the others have said it is typical dog play. FWIW, my dominant dog will be the first to roll on her back and let my GSD mouth her neck. She know she is the dominant dog of three and doesn't need to prove anything. This is where some people screw up and separate their dogs too quickly when the play turns a little rough, as it may do as they mature, neutered and spayed or not. If you don't let them decide who is boss, below you and yours of course, they will never know. They will grow up being uncomfortable around each other, looking for an opportunity when you aren't around to decide.
    Of course this also depends on the breed. Some dominant breeds never decide and should never be left unattended with their own kind.

Hopefully your will figure out their hierarchy while they are still youngin's. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'd think it was normal. But what I would do is watch the submissive one to see if s/he is afraid with the 'play.' The tail and ears and eyes usually give me a clue as to whether the actions are welcome or not.

But I'm not a dog shrink, so I probably read it incorrectly some times.

The dog's personalities change over time. My dog started out having really rough play with his buddies. It was kind of fun to watch him wrestle with someone his size for a good 15 minutes or so. No one got hurt and both were having a good time. And he would always go home complete exhausted after the play.

Later he became more snippy and started showing his teeth with other dogs. It was scaring some of the other dogs, or if they were able to be dominant they would growl back in a way that was DEFINITELY unfriendly. So now I watch my dog much more closely and don't allow the angry-type play.

So the dog changes. But early rough play is completely expected. And it can be quite rough, but angry-rough and rough that frightens either of the dogs should be broken up.

Another thing that happens at the off leash park is ganging up. Withough being a phsychologist you can definitely see this as pack activity. My dog used to be fast enough to push back the pack. Now he recognizes the potential signs and just decides to stay out of trouble. If I see that happening with other dogs I will step in to break it up.

We have never had a case at the park where fights got out of control. I'm guessing that this is because the owners know they are expected to watch their animals and intercede quickly as tempers rise. But I've heard stories of dog fights that humans are virtually unable to break up - hasn't happened at our regular haunts. Plenty of snipping here snipping there.

<font color="blue"> It was comical the first time they visited, because this little scamp went after that big dog, running in circles around him and jumping on him trying to get that big lazy sucker to play, and he looked confused as the dickens. But it wasn't long until they were taking turns chasing each other and rolling on the ground together. </font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Reminds me of a neighbor I had that inherited a Pomeranian. That little bugger was delighted to find herself in a big yard with a BIG (as in FAT adn OLD) German Shephard. They became great friends, as the big guy would play as best he could without moving too much. He'd lay down and 'snap' at the little one while she ran around, jumped on him, nipped his tail and generally and tired herself out.

my 2 labs play hard.... wrestle, biting matches (much as you describe) are fun to watch, as its compleatly play based on tale movements (wagging exitedly) and no standing hair, and ear postion.

ie its easy to read the body languge as play vs when one goes into alarm mode barking at something she doesnt like. (tail down, ears back, hair raised)

I will add that about every 3rd or 4th good wrestle match i get in there as "pack leader" and assert my dommance over both durring play to reinforce "im big dog" As you noted one will generally assert a dominace over the other. Durring this play time its great to come in and assert YOUR domminance over both.

as also mentioned as they get older there temperments can/do change. Also (as noted) just because they play well together does not mean they will get along with all other dogs the same way.